Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Firebrand

Author Topic: The Firebrand
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost a year's worth of Wolf 359 research has gone by, and I never got the inside joke until just now.

The definition of "firebrand" in the Random House dictionary:

"A piece of burning wood or other material."

Very fitting for the graveyard scene, huh?

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed it was one of those "Abstract" concepts, so that when you heard it maybe you'd think "FIRE" or "Brand": two moderetealy cool words or whatever, i don't know what the hell i'm even talking about.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I remember seeing the word Firebrand in Julius Caeser, and it said the definition was one of "revolters" or something like that.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think "firebrand" is more often applied to people. It'd be someone who stirs up trouble, or "heats up" a situation, as it were. A troll on a message board, to give a familiar example.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps