Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Budget cuts or savings? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Budget cuts or savings?
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you all have noticed, star trek:voyager have recently started using redresses of several old ships as their new alien-of-the-week starship, a bit changed of course, but... For instance both ships in "Nightingale", the tac-fighter and I think the other one is the tracer�s ship(?) Also, the Turei ship from "Dragon�s teeth" is clearly a redress of the old Voth science-ship.
So, what is this about? Is the show saving money and why? Can we look forward to a great epic story-arc that finally brings Voyager home with lots and lots of sfx?
Or, have the staff lost all imagination? I find it a bit boring that we don�t get to see new ship-designs.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

[This message has been edited by pIn'a' Sov (edited November 28, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To a certain extent, redressing things has always existed is Trek, but when they are so easy to pick out, it does become a little insulting. Instead of the sfx hoopla you suggest, I think it's more likely that we'll see a big homecoming with lots of stock footage from First Contact or something.

Don't get me wrong, I totally understand the need for them to work within a budget and within time constraints. But when the SERIES FINALE of DS9 uses stock footage from another episode that clearly shows a problem with the ship, and stock footage from, what, Trek 6, that has already been reused at least once and Voyager starts reusing ships that are only a few seasons old, it just gets a little old.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited November 28, 2000).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I toatlly agree, however it saves money to not to create explosions like that in Trek 6. I don't think it costs alot to make new stock footage. Does it?

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a personalized conspiricy, in fact. Braga told me not to say anything, though, so you didn't hear it from me.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::takes wad on money from Braga, points out Sol::

See? Told ya!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you take a wad ON money?
Besides, what's a wad?
And is there like a pile of money, so you're on it?

So, you're on Money, which is apparently from Braga, and you take a wad on it?

Is this some new way the kids say bodily functions? Damn kids.

Of course, it sounds like drugs to me. Damn kids.

Hoodlums.

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It should've read:

Wad of money ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Rated 7 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at "Drive." Irina was the only one who got a new ship. All the other racers were in a who's who of alien-of-the-week ships. I don't mind so much seeing the same alien ship pop up now and again. There are some I would like to see again so I can get a good screen capture of it, like the Benthan ships from Vis a Vis. And I don't think the Annari ship and the Ramuran tracer vessel are the same design though they look familiar. The aliens from Gravity and the Kobali also have ships of this same general design.

------------------
"Ah, the Luftwaffe. The Washington Generals of the History Channel."
-Homer Simpson

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When they reuse ship designs as far-away background fodder, I don't mind as much (even though I'm sure everyone at this forum would still be able to point them out). It's when they reuse a design as a main ship and don't change it in any way, that irks me. I actually had less of a problem when they used the Starfleet fighter as an alien ship than when they reused the Karemma ship for the Delta Quadrant alien of the week, because TPTB made modifications to the former but not to the latter.

Aban: Yes, I agree with you about the DS9 finale. I actually mentioned those same points in an earlier post.

Anyway, I don't know much about CGI modeling, but wouldn't it be easier to extensively modify a GGI model than a physical one? I heard that Species 8472 was a modification of the Shadows from Babylon 5, done at the skeletal level. Why not make such a pronounced modification to a CGI ship?

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you meant to say Vorlons, and while the ships do have some strong similarities, no one has ever said anything about them being the same model reworked. (Not to say it isn't, but no one has said anything about it. Or, heck, maybe they have. What do I know? I am just a humble boy, going about my daily routine.)

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I was referring to the aliens themselves, not their ships. However, the same source also stated that 8472's ships were modifications of the Vorlon's ships.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't know if they did a change of Any B5 CGI characters, but when you have ships being created solely in CGI that have never existed as a physical model, they seem to look more 'fake' or 'organic'... they're getting better though.

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only similar vorlon-ship is the little transport and it's actually far more advanced a design than the 8472. I'm sure the Trek-designers built their from scratch, it's not a huuge effort for them.

That maquis-raider remake, sounds awful. I hope the ep-story compensates...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Awful? It's a different ship. It's original incarnation is obvious, but come on.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
--
Camper Van Beethoven

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard that Foundation Imaging were pushed when doing Scorpion, so they did reuse B5 models. The ships are reworkings of Vorlon ships, and Species 8472 themselves are modified Shadow's (the actualy species again, not the ships).

I imagine it's easier to modify something rather than build it up from scratch. As long as you do a good job, no-one should notice.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps