Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Anyone know how the sliding doors work? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Anyone know how the sliding doors work?
spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In TOS, I'm told, it was two guys, one on each side.
In TNG, I think they had something better. Given that the bloopers I've seen all show the doors NOT opening (as opposed to one open and the other not), I'm guessing that they employ SOME mechanism to open both doors at once.

Probably they work similarly to elevator doors, and a Union Tech Guy somewhere throws a switch to open them.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I work at a supermarket, (I'm a teenager!) those sliding doors don't exactly work all the time. I remember some of those doors rapidly opening and closing on their own. In the 60's it was a two man system in the 80's and 90's IT is the supermarket technique just modified for Star Trek use. Those sliding doors don't cost that much, somewhere in between 3,000 to about 9,000. Nothing in a Trek budget.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...unless they outfit EVERY door on EVERY set with them ... I mean, there are five sets of doors on the TNG bridge (two turbolift, cpt's ready room, battle bridge turbolift, conference room)

Besides which, the doors might prove to be more sensative. I don't think they're truly "automatic" doors but more a manually worked mechanism.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sensitivty should be adjustable, there is also a pressure plate type that could be used, with the old door opener throwing a switch to turn it on.

Manuel Door Openers, from the PAD Union
Auto Door Opener with sensor Eye
Auto Door Opener with sensor Plate

If the bloopers show doors not opening, or half opening, then they really scimped on the price, so a it wouldn't be too much, especially since the doors are, probably, nothing more than ply wood. The mechanisms would be too costly, for a light duty door like that.
If it's the Union guys bucking for a pay raise or some screen time, then replace them or give it to them.

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that they use a pulley mechanism. When I was like, four, I remeber watching Levar Burton's Reading Rainbow. Don't laugh. He did an episode on his work in Star Trek and I think they showed a cut of a guy using some sort of mechanism to open the turbolift doors on the bridge. If not there, I saw it somewnere else.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The doors can't have a sensor, because we've seen people stand in front of the doors, yet they don't open until the person actually wants to leave. Plus there was an outtake where one of the Defiant's doors didn't open and someone walked right into it (whoops...). I think it's just some guy with a button who's cued to open it.

Besides, if it were two guys on top, the doors wouldn't open at the same time, and it'd look odd. Especially the big holodeck doors.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider TNG's "Conspiracy" ... where Riker gets thrown THROUGH a pair of doors ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was LaForge who was thrown through the doors. And they probably had the doors opened, but in it's place two wooden boards that could be detached or fall apart easily without taking part of the set apart.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you imagine the chaos sensors would cause? Doors would open all the time, interupting Very Important Speeches. All tension would be lost, and no-one would ever watch Trek ever again.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Riker ... LaForge ... who can tell the difference?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

BRUTUS
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no sensor...as some have pointed out the doors open only when they are supposed to, not when people are close to them. I'm positive it's a rope or whatever and not a switch as they sometimes open and close at different speeds and some slow considerably before closing completely, while others do not. Also, I saw that Reading Rainbow show as well!
IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: Speeches? Do the brass hold their orations in the corridor nowadays?
And Very Important ones too... Like, that typical american, Academy-Award winning pep-talk before a biig battle?

Uhm...I'm done now.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

*Red Alert*

Then cut to the corridors where we see the doors going heywire because of all the people moving briskly throughout the corridors...

Picard: "Were has all the ships power gone?"
Data: "Its the doors, Sir, they're responding to the people in the corridor, who are responding to red alert."

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where Have All The Power Gone,

long time pa-assing,

where have all the power gone,

a long long time ago...

where have all the power gone,

went to sensors, all the juice,

when will they ever learn,

when will they eeeeeveeer learn???

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*kills Nimrod*

To be fair, they don't often hold Very Important Speeches (or Conversations) in corridors. However, there are at least 5 million instances where Mr "Jeff" is in his office/ready room/bath, and tells his number one/major/monkey that "That'll be all". Said person goes to leave, and walks up to the doors. THEY DON'T OPEN. This indicates to the aformentioned number one/major/monkey boy that THE CONVERSATION IS NOT OVER, and they return to protest Mr "Jeff's" decision to enter the badlands/abandon the chase/invite the borg around for mixed doubles.

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps