Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The first U.S.S. Carolina (not a retread of old position)

Author Topic: The first U.S.S. Carolina (not a retread of old position)
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Dialogue from "Friday's Child"

Uhura: Mr. Scott, another distress call from the U.S.S. Carolina.
Scott: Ignore it.
Uhura: The Carolina is registered in the sector.
Scott: Ignore it.

What can be learned
-the U.S.S. Carolina is a not a starship
-the U.S.S. Carolina is an active duty ship of Starfleet
-she is on mission near the Klingon Empire

What can be inferred-
-the U.S.S. Carolina can not be Daedalus Class or Constitution Class. If she is either, then Uhura would have identified the U.S.S. Carolina as starship U.S.S. Carolina. U.S.S. Horizon is identified as starship in "A Piece of the Action".
-the ship is a support ship of the Starship Class.
-the ship could be either a scout (TMP) or a freighter (Charlie X) or something else

I have removed the USS Carolina from my list of Constitution Class starships.

I perceive that Mr. Okuda decided not to invent a new ship class, so he used an existing ship class. Unfortunately, he picked a ship class that wouldn't be operational in the 2260's. The registry for the U.S.S. Carolina (NCC-160) is based on inaccurate information and I have disregarded the registry as well as the class.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just because they didn't say it was a starship, that doesn't mean it necessarily wasn't.

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

colin
Member # 217

TSN
if I say the U.S.S. Carolina is a starship, then this makes her a Constitution Class starship. The definition of a starship in the first Star Trek is different than in later Star Treks. A starship is the U.S.S. Enterprise-a capital ship. Before the Enterprise-type starships, there were the Archon-type and the J-type starships.

U.S.S. Carolina is accepted by no one, even me now, as a Enterprise-type starship. And for you to suggest that the ship is of this type, isn't this contrary to what you have been saying?

So, the U.S.S. Carolina remains an unknown.

------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, wait, how do you know Starship was meant to imply only the Constitution class? Do you work for Paramount? Did you work on Star tTrek in the 60s? Did Gene Roddenberry tell you this? No, you're only stating your opinion on the interpretation of the term "starship", yet you talk like it has to be accepted by everyone else here. Obviously it ain't gonna happen.

USS Carolina NCC-160 is just some starship that was mentioned and we know nothing else about. Simple as that. Everything else is a GUESS, an OPINION. Leave it at that already!

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Target,

Your theory is full of holes.

Just because a type of ship is identified as a "starship" in one episode does not mean that it will be identified as such in another.

Presumably, if the Carolina was on border patrol near the Enterprise, the senior staff would know this, and know that the Carolina is indeed a "starship" (using your definition).

And have you considered that Scott ignores the distress call because he considers that a Constitution-Class starship should have no problem fending off a Klingon threat (if the Cap'n would get off his ass, sir, and use the ship the right way...)?

See? There's a perfectly logical explanation for why the Carolina is Constitution-Class ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 7.5 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
Shop Smart -- Shop "S"-Mart

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited December 06, 2000).]

colin
Member # 217

My understanding is based on the "Making of Star Trek". Has anyone read this book? Does anyone have a different interpretation on what is written on the Enterprise-type starships?

I am willing to admit that I am wrong. I did so with the U.S.S. Carolina, which is not even identified as a Constitution Class starship by the creative team.

At a later time, I will include the quote from this named book. And the arguments will begin again.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You apparently misunderstood me. What I was saying is that, just because the word "starship" is not said, you can't assume that the ship is not a starship. If someone said "USS Enterprise", but didn't precede it w/ "starship", would you assume the E wasn't a starship?

Also, by the time of TOS, "starship" seemed to have taken on its generic meaning. There evidence that it was a more specific term at an earlier time, but, every mention of the word "starship" in TOS cannot be automatically construed as "Constitution-class starship".

------------------
"I suppose it's possible my mother is a product of my imagination, but that raises more questions than it solves, really."
-Simon Sizer, 4-Dec-2000

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A starship, by anyother name would it not travel as fast?

------------------
Well, it's done, yes, the deed is done.

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Uhura said space ship USS Carolina would you consider it as a freighter? Space ship and a star ship is about the same thing such as in Naval terms like ship and vessel.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To add another superbly rational argument to this discussion:

Obviously, a name like "Carolina" is too good to be wasted on a mere freighter. The names of the States were usually used as a battleship name pool in the USN, and it was the ships from cruisers down that got obscure names.

In Starfleet, big ships are apparently named after historical big ships. So the name pool still consists mostly of US State names and US historical battle sites and commanders, with a couple of international references thrown in. I'd expect a freighter or other humble vessel to be named after something a bit "smaller", like SS Huron.

Or was the Carolina named after the hamburger or something?

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps