Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sol's Subspace Theory Revisited

Author Topic: Sol's Subspace Theory Revisited
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took a while, but I eventually tracked down Sol's nifty subspace graphic, which I always thought to be a good representation as to how the different Trek drives worked in respect to one another.

Sol's Nifty Subspace Theory Graphic

Anyway, Sol's theory popped into my mind while I was examining the nifty-though-mindbogglingly-complex warp equation TSN found quite a while back. Now, goodness knows this equation is non-canon, but it is the only equation ever created that does fit given canon warp speeds. Anyway, there is a discontinuity of this curve at Warp 9.9995:

Limit as W (the warp factor) approaches 9.9995 from the left: approx. 10300c.

Speed at W: approx. 37000c. (TSN gets 45000c, but it is possible at such discontinuities for small changes in either rounding or significant digits to significantly alter results.)

Limit as W approaches 9.9995 from the right: approx. 199000c.

So, here's my thought: Could Warp 9.9995 be the threshold between the warp domain and the upper transwarp domain of Sol's diagram, just as Warp 1 is the threshold between normal space and the warp domain?

------------------
Kang/Kodos in '04!

[This message has been edited by Krenim (edited December 07, 2000).]

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you apply a couple of coordinate transforms to that picture you can get to how I've always imagined subspace.

First off, the outer skin (normal spacetime) in the 2-D diagram depicts a closed, curved 1-dimensional universe. Obviously, the diagram would have to be 4-D to accurately represent our 3-D universe. Ignore that for now, and pretend we are little line segments living in a 1-D universe. Take the diagram and turn it inside out, so that rather than having spacetime on the "outside" and Warp 10 is a dot at the center, spacetime is a small circle at the center and subspace extends out to infinity with Warp 10 at all directions infinitely far away.

Now photocopy the diagram a few times and scatter them on your desk. Each one represents a distinct spacetime manifold embedded in the greater structure of subspace. If you call the distinct spacetimes "tertiary subspace manifolds" (when viewed from each other) then you can cite "Schisms" [TNG] as evidence for this crazy scheme.

You can also turn the diagram inside-out again (all you need is a higher dimension) and stuff a "superspace" into the supposedly small circle representing each spacetime manifold. Not necessary, but don't let this scheme make you feel limited. In Ian M. Banks' Culture SF series there's a notion of nesting universes like onions providing the subspace-equivalent to build FTL devices around. But they never mention that in Star Trek (and lets hope they can avoid adding that degree of technobabble).

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh...me do good?

------------------
"I finally see that what we thought was a fun way to celebrate our love was really an expression of hostility and disrespect toward Jesus."
--
Bill Metz, in The Onion
Read chapter TWO of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Now with 30% more plot.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps