Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » holograms

Author Topic: holograms
Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-steps between a pummeled targetemployee and his attackers-

You want to fight - fight me...

So - what's the deal with holograms these days?

Does the holodoc's, etc. program reside in a hardware computer or is it supposed to reside in the "holomatrix" itself, sort of "lightware"?

They seem to just keep expanding what exactly a hologram is.

Silly question - but hey we have to talk about something while the recounts go on...

TK

[This message has been edited by Toadkiller (edited December 08, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, a hologram is photons projected onto complex forcefields. It could be anything, from a bald humanoid to a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle doll.

The holo-matrix is the software that runs the program. Doc's is extremely sophisticated since it contains more than a preprogrammed responces, but also personality and adaptive elements. The holo-emitters are independant pieces of hardware which are controlled, along with the holo-matrix, by the ship's computer.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed - we often hear the Doctor referring to himself as a "collections of photons and forcefields".

Mark

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But nowadays every other hologram is senient and considered a living person...made up of photons and forcefields.

------------------
"Everyone should speak English or just shut up, that's what I say!" - Calvin.
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess that was my point. They don't seem to notice that it isn't the hologram that is an AI it is the computer.

I'd love to see them run the doctor on a terminal as a text only application.

------------------

TK

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's not so much that the computer is a sentient being, it's the program running on the computer that is sentient.

Like if Photoshop suddenly started typing things on its own and creating pictures of me getting killed to try and get me to stop scanning in Star Trek pictures. That doesn't necessarily mean that my Dell is intelligent, just Photoshop.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited December 14, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps