Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Trek Mag #21 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Star Trek Mag #21
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He based the series not on the Air Force but the Navy. He probably didn't know any actual naval registries, or what they meant if he did. So he probably just went with what he knew.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dispatch from horse's mouth:

"I wanted a very simple number that could be spotted quickly. You'd have to eliminate 3, 6, 8, and 9, so I just went for 1701, which, incidentally and coincidentally, happens to be very close to the license number on my airplane - NC-17740. But I have never really stepped out and squashed the rumor that the number on the Enterprise came off my airplane."
--
Matt Jeffries

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also somewhere in that same page was mention of the fact that the Soviet letters were CCC... so its as if they combined NC and CCC and got NCC! voil�.

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sovs used CCCP, as in the name of the nation. Simpler, really.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nooo. "CCC" as in the USSR's international civilian craft prefix. Again from the horse's mouth (nobody tell Matt we're calling him a horse):

"Since the 1920's, N has indicated the United States in Navy terms, and C means 'commercial' vessel. I added an extra C just for fun. Interestingly, Russia's designation is CCC."

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding starbases and whatnot...

I've always taken Starbase to indicate an advance Starfleet post in an area where there wasn't much Federation government to speak of (yet).

Some fluffy material on the margins of semi-canonicity (novels, etc.) have Starbase 1 out in the fringes of the Solar system, and I personally love McQuarrie's concept painting of a Starbase in an asteroid for that.

In the Earth-Luna system, without counting Spacedock, or having to go to any other planets in this stellar system, we have the:

San Francisco Yards
McKinley Station
Copernicus Fleet Yards
Baikonur Yards
Puget Sound Yards
Newport News Yards

And probably many others that I am either forgetting or aren't canon. Earth orbit (and to a lesser degree, Lunar orbit) is probably a pretty busy place.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to disagree with part of your classification system. Starbases seem to be part of the larger command structure. Admirals and the like are stationed at them. This suggests, at least to me, that they're located where ever Starfleet needs a local HQ. Outposts on the edges of Federation space are Deep Space stations, no? And these don't seem to be places where orders originate from.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does "Star Station" fit into all this... as in Star Station India from "Unnatural Selction" [TNG]?

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are probably as many theories as there are theorists on this, but my take is that "star station" is a civilian installation. Starfleet in turn operates a network of starbases used for military, research and other purposes, but with one common factor - they all support starship operations. These starbases are given numerical identifiers, but some of the venerable ones also acquire nicknames like "starbase Montgomery". These stations are within the Federation, and vastly outnumber stations outside UFP borders.

Then there are deep space stations that are located outside Federation territory, hence the name. Once the space around a DS station gets absorbed to the UFP, the station becomes another starbase, and the DS number is freed for future use (which is why even in the late 24th century, Starfleet still uses single-digit DS numbers).

In addition, Starfleet operates "outposts" (with more limited missions than starbases - they can be science-only installations like in "Gambit" or defence-only ones like the outposts of the RNZ) and "relay stations" (as seen in "Aquiel" - there might be civilian commnets, too, but apparently Starfleet maintains a network of its own) and other special installations with special naming systems.

So there. No need to agree with this - it's just one possible way to organize this mess.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

What about Deep Space Station K-7? Personally, I'd like consider this a DS just like DS9, but whence the K? Perhaps a change in the record-keeping system between TOS and TNG.

Of course, now that I think about it, K-7 was a civilian station, wasn't it? So it need not fit into any Starfleet naming scheme.

------------------
--
Neutral Milk Hotel

[This message has been edited by Sol System (edited February 10, 2001).]

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Back to registries for a second. I don't know how this will fit into people's NCC/NAR/whatever debates, but the Vico from "Hero Worship" was evidently Starfleet surplus. It still had the SF pennant on it according to the miniature...

Go fig.

--Jonah

------------------

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the commander of Station K-9,when it was built, got so much teasing from the other Captains about having a dog of a posting, that as soon as he got to be an Admiral he changed the system. . . 8)

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okayyyyy....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps