Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » LEGO Defiant (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: LEGO Defiant
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering about the uniforms too.

Are you going to get the turbolifts to actually WORK? Whereas, you can push them through the turbolift tubes themselves or ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier ... just as long as I'm the dictator." - George "Dubya" Bush, Dec 18, 2000

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or with Right's idea, just paint the top of the shirt black and you'd have TNG uniforms. Or paint the bottom part of the shirt and have Voyager uniforms.

------------------
Pronouces it "Twenty-O-One"
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: Funny, my bridge sets are also blue! Must have been because I used all the white, grey, etc. bricks to build the ships. I've even got two yellow (!) Mirandas (1 Lantree type, one Reliant).
Mind you, I might also be way past the age of building with LEGO, but I've still got the models on show and even the bridge set is sitting "under wraps".

I've got Windows95 and my digital camera connects to the USB port which is all right to me as I've got two of them. But the camera SOFTWARE unfortunately needs Windows98 for a proper installation!
Anyone know how to get around that problem?

As soon as I have got Win98 I can finally post pics as promised months ago when I first posted a thread about my LEGO ships.

About the uniforms: I used the method you described, painting plain red/gold/blue "uniform" tops with black markers. I even used stickers (painted grey) to imitate the First Contact style uniforms.

------------------
RIMMER [as Ace]: "Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas."

ScottKey
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, as for the uniforms, I was just going to find some Lego minifig torsos that look as close to the DS9 uniform as possible. I don't really like messing with any of the actual pieces. However, once I actually finish the ship, I might suck it up and do a little painting.

Now for the turbolifts, I do hope to get them to work. This will probably be the trickiest part of the building process. I've got to make these things go vertical and horizontal. It could be interesting how I actually solve this loittle problem. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear em.

Scott

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if you want them to work at the push of a button, you may be thankful that the official separation between decks in the Defiant is close to 4 meters even when the corridors themselves are only a little over 2 meters high... The extra space is where the turbolift horizontal-motion machinery goes!

I once did something like this as an experiment. I didn't want to do an "alpine train" style thing with gears and sawtoothed tracks, nor a cable-based conventional elevator. Essentially, I went for a conveyor-type belt running along the wall of a vertical shaft and the floor of a horizontal one. I first tried building the conveyors out of actual plastic Lego tracks, the sort used in bulldozers and the like. That didn't work at all. But a long rubber band did the trick for both the vertical and horizontal movement: I made it run in a groove at the side or bottom of a simple rectangular shaft, so that it touched the side or bottom of the lift car. A single motor could run the system, coupled to all the belts with more rubber bands; a more advanced system should use separate motors for separate belts, or a gearbox system for giving power to only a single selected belt at a time.

I had to reduce the friction between the car and the shaft somehow, too, and experimented with tiny wheels running either directly on the shaft walls or then on railroad tracks mounted there. Eventually, I just glued a dozen little plastic beads to the walls of the car so that these tiny points were the only things touching the corners of the shaft walls. Using two conveyors, on opposite sides, to support the full weight of the cab would probably also work - but it was hell to make the pressure of ONE belt against the cab even roughly constant along the length of a shaft, and two might be a big problem.

The hard part was making a transition between vertical and horizontal movement. Going from vertical to horizontal was easy in the end - at the end of the horizontal conveyor, the lift would just plop into the vertical shaft (not very elegantly, though, but with proper guiderails it would work). The cab would shoot upwards past such a junction when traveling vertically, simply by giving it sufficient speed to clear the beltless gap. The beads would run along the four corners of the vertical shaft all the time, so the cab wouldn't be without support even in the gap - it would simply be without propulsion.

The opposite direction was far more difficult. Finally I settled on building a set of rollers (Lego axles) emerging from the vertical shaft wall below the cab after the cab had reached a junction. Then the cab would drop back onto those rollers, which would move it sideways to the horizontal shaft and its conveyor belt. It was all manual, moving the axles into the shaft and then turning a crank at a carefully controlled speed to roll the rollers so that the cabin wouldn't tip over, but it worked. With the modern pneumatic Lego components, this should be easier to arrange, and it could be motorized, too.

In the end, the system featured an ugly lift cab which couldn't house a single figurine, no workable door system, and machinery that vastly out-bulked the little cab and the meager few shafts (one straight vertical shaft, one horizontal L-shape, one junction). But in theory, it could be built in a more elegant form. The conveyor belts are a good starting point, and designing smooth, possibly smoothly curving shafts with functional junctions is The Real Big Problem.

Perhaps in the flat Defiant, you could do the horizontal conveyors only, and use a separate pneumatic or mechanical platform for moving the lift vertically across the mere four-five decks. Not very elegant, but then you wouldn't need the rollers at junctions, just that single platform.

Timo Saloniemi

spyone
Ex-Member

Lego will sell you bulk Legos. This can work out to save you quite a bit of money. If you will let them use your model in future promotions, they might even send you some Legos for free.

When I was younger, I lived in Connecticut (US home of LEGO). One year long ago, a kid wanted to make a scale model of the Goodspeed Operahouse out of LEGOs. Not only did LEGO sell to him in bulk, they actually made LEGOs for him in colors that were not then available, like grey, to make his model more exact. After he finished it, they put it on display at the Eastern States Exposition.
While the Defiant is Paramount's property, and thus a little harder to use for promotions, LEGO might be interested in helping you.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think legally you're allowed to do something like this, as long as it's one of a kind and not used to promote another product illegally. Paramount may give you permission too if you want to be on the safe side. Although they're a bit idiotic when it comes to fan stuff.
Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waaaaah! You finally made me register! I've been lurking for three months, trying not to post. But the line must be drawn here...

Okay, I'l try to help you. There is a computer tool called MLCAD that is specifically designed to do 3D models of LEGO. It's excellent for outlining these kind of modular projects (you can construct several parts separated, and then merge them all in layers)

Look for it at www.mlcad.org.

For further assistance, visit www.lugnet.com. They have LEGO forums for almost everything.

Play well...

------------------
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doctor Bashir I presume? Welcome to the Jungle.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

ScottKey
Ex-Member

Hey Bashir,

I've got MLCAD. The only problem is I want to actually build the physical model. I don't want to use ldraw to do it. It just doesn't seem as real to me.

MIB
Ex-Member

I agree I also have MLcad, but building a Lego model on MLcad doesn't seem nearly as forfilling as building a model with real legos.

------------------
If anyone has a Star wars action fleet E-wing starfighter or Tie defender toy they want to sell, please E-mail me at [email protected]

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited January 11, 2001).]

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. I can say that myself. But it's a good way to test the structures and everything, then planning how much pieces of each kind you need. In that way, you can organize your collection and buy the almost exact amount of blocks you need for the final building.

Hey, every construction needs a blueprint! Especially one that is so important

------------------
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

trekfan2k
Ex-Member

I've got mlCAD too, but I think making large scale models, such as the Defiant, would take longer than building. It's a good program, but it seems a little complicated.

Also, if you have any pics, sketches, or .dat's, I'd love to see them.

------------------
"You left spacedock without a tractor beam?"

"It won't be installed until Tuesday."

-Captain James T. Kirk to Captain John Harriman

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps