Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Definite Article (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Definite Article
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a vaguely related note, seaQuest DSV never, ever referred to its eponymous sub as "The seaQuest," always just "seaQuest."

IMHO, dropping the "the" gives it more of a radio-chatter techie name, while adding "the" makes it a bit more formal.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Voth from "Distant Origin" also used "the Voyager" consistently in that episode. Odd.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Drago
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To me calling Voyager "The Voyager" dosen't sound right and always brings up the Voyager space probe in my mind it's just like calling Batman "The Batman" it just sounds wrong lol

------------------

IP: Logged
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, it's not uncommon for him to be called "The Batman", or jsut "The Bat". Sure, "The Superman" is wrong, but Batsy often gets a definive article. When they want him to sound mysterious.

There might be a "the" missing in Star Trek III, althogh I could be misremembering this:

"Jim, Enterprise is 20 years old". (Yeah, and I know the statements wrong as well. Let's not jump on that.

You occasionally notice Trek authors who have an opinion on this subject, and spend the whole book writing "Enterprise approached the Fishian ship".

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And where. . . is the Batman?!"

- The Joker

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VOY's second episode, Parallex (I believe), was re-run the other night. And when the second "copy" of Voyager appears on the viewer, what does Mr. Paris say?

"It's the Voyager!"

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odd...

So many doubles.

That episode was re-run.
The Voyager was duplicated.
This example was mentioned twice. Siegfried posted is above.

------------------
"This is such an amazingly minor complaint. Does anyone actually watch episodes anymore, or is it just a notebook + pause button exercise these days?"
-Sol System on what constitutes modern day Star Trek watching, 02-22-01

hoth1701
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know from where you guys are but me who doesn't have english as main-language doesn't think 'the Voyager' sounds wrong. not that not using 'the' sounds wrong either.

EX: "Here onboard Voyager..."
"Here onboard the Voyager..."

None of them sounds wrong to me.

KK

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps