Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Adobe Illustrator

Author Topic: Adobe Illustrator
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In AI, is there anyway to enlarge that 'box' that occurs in the workspace? Can you work outside that box - or does all your work have to remain within it's boundaries.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The solid outline in the workspace is your paper size which defaults to 8.5"x11". The dashed line which appears inward of that is a printing guide. Anything within the dashed boundary 'should' print on paper. The difference is that the solid outer boundary is where the page is grabbed by the rollers and the inner dashed boundary is where the printer can place ink/toner.

You can resize them if your paper needs change. Go to Page setup, or something page related under the file menu. It may also be under Edit>Preferences.

You can indeed place diagrams and such outside of this area. If you save a file it will preserve anything you've drawn, no matter where on the artboard you place it. The distinction is, as I said above, the only diagrams that will print are the ones inside the dashed boundary.

Did that help you any? [Smile]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh yes, thankyou - so for stuff solely for the web, say, you can use outside those lines. SO - is there anyway to hide those printing guides to have full access to the whole canvas?

Thanks (sorry for the probably simplistic questions).

Andrew

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a file I made called TrekSymbols.ai. I have a few symbols I've made within the page borders (because those symbols are the last ones I printed) and the rest remain outside. I don't quite know what you mean by "for stuff solely for the web". You would have to take a screenshot and make it a gif or jpg in order to put it on a web page.

To answer your last question, I don't know of a way to remove the page border entirely. It's a guide so you'll know what area will print. If you need to make a screen shot to save as a jpg, then by all means drag your art to a white spot on the artboard. I usually use the Print Screen keyboard key and go into my photo program and select Paste.

Don't worry about simplistic questions...they aren't. Keep 'em coming if you need to!

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dark bordered box is called the 'art board', and you can resize that in document setup. I don't speak your impish PC language, but on the Mac you can scale pages under page setup which allows you to increase the print area. You can also tile it, but if you aren't worried about print at all I recommend selecting 'Hide Page Tiling' under the 'View' menu. Incidentally which version of the program are you using.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I found how to hide them - art board and whatever under 'view' - before your post Balaam but THANKYOU anyway. [Smile] BTW for the record, Version 10.0

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps