Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Wheeler (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S.S. Wheeler
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like these designs from the Spaceflight Chronology. They do appear to be very realistic and based on actual science and physics. My only wish is that we could have had something similiar in Enterprise.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Reverand; I'm also curious about designs of this era; Enterprise could have been better IMO if they'd had a look at designs like this or those on the Starfleet Museum first.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thats a helluva site.. especially since ive never found a copy of that book..

couple of quick notes off my quick perusal:

The Baton Rouge class is used as a lot of places, such as John M. Ford's Final Reflection novel. In one of the Marvel comics that came out after TMP, the training vessel Republic was shown to be Baton Rouge-class.

The Tritium-class painting was used to represent the Kobayashi Maru on the cover of the novel with the same name

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not keen on the bubble-with-nacelles design though.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mike from C.A.P.T.A.I.N.:
wow thats a helluva site.. especially since ive never found a copy of that book..

couple of quick notes off my quick perusal:

The Baton Rouge class is used as a lot of places, such as John M. Ford's Final Reflection novel. In one of the Marvel comics that came out after TMP, the training vessel Republic was shown to be Baton Rouge-class.

The Tritium-class painting was used to represent the Kobayashi Maru on the cover of the novel with the same name

These are exactly the kind of little footnotes that I like to have for my shiplist, Captain. Any more pearls of knowledge?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Marvel comic Republic reference is a great example of fandom cohesiveness of the day.. the shot they used of the Republic, shown in a flashback when Cadet Ensign Kirk was serving on it, was traced from the painting shown in the chronology (without the nacelle being detached, though).. it makes a lot more sense for it to be an older ship than a Constitution, as many assume it to be today, even though it was never established as such. The flaw is that the Marvel comic shows the registry NCC-1373.. this was apparently the origin of that erroneous reg that made it into FASA's manuals.

Some other Baton Rouge ships were featured in The Final Reflection, and in a few later comics such as Gary Mitchells previous assignment USS Churchill shown in one of the DC comic annuals

The Mann class was in The Final Reflection also, an amusing seen when the Klingons identified it as the Man-class and thought the humans named a ship after their species

The chronology is also the origin of the timeline that was used in a lot of licensed works, until invalidated by Wrath of Khan's 2283 for the ale reference.. I believe it placed the launch of the Constitution-class in the 2180s, and the birth of the Federation in 2087. This was perpetuated in many books by Carey, the Reeves-Stevens, John M. Ford and some RPG material i believe before chronologies that more resemble Okuda's came into being.

Ive also noticed that Sternbach used many of these designs in his TNG years..the Byrne-class ( http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/spacechron/22ndcentury04.jpg ) looks really familiar.. was it the particle fountain or something from that season?

also, the top view only of the superwarp vessel ( http://www.stguardian.to/mixed/spacechron/superwarp01.jpg )looks a lot like what i believe became either the Pakled ship or the Bajoran Antares.. i think, anyway, my brain is full of ships. that nonsymmetrical outpinning on the side looks wicked familiar tho

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps