Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Starfleet symbol

Author Topic: TOS Starfleet symbol
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I made something pretty. I find this idea disturbing since I never do that.

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/midfleet2.jpg

Question is, did I get the lines and angles right? And, beyond that, does that actually look cool, or do my eyes deceive me?

(BTW, if you don't know what the hell that is, look here:
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWthisthing.html
. . . but understand that the one used on the walls was all curvy, but I think the ship banner one was squared off.)

Thanks for all input!

G2k

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks pretty good to me, although I'm not sure if the ship one was squared off or not. But it does actually look quite cool. [Smile] .

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been able to find a good shot of the one on the model that's close enough for me to be able to tell. I want to say that the ERTL model had them squared off, but I don't remember exactly. So far, the best shot I've found is this:

http://www.trek5.com/caps/tos/39_MM/pages/39_MM-013.htm

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Ah, crap. I found the decal sheet online sold by Thomas Models. The thing is all curved . . . not a corner to be found anywhere. Grr. Back to square one . . . or, actually, not. [Smile]

Update:

Ugh . . . unless you square it off, the thing just keeps ending up looking like a banana. Grr. Hellwiffit . . . I'm keeping the corners.

[ December 01, 2002, 18:37: Message edited by: Guardian 2000 ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny - cause the one on the nacelle looks like the bottom part is 'cut off' - and the top isn't cut off but continues like the wall version... then on the Engineering section one - the opposite seems true - that the bottom continues but the top is squared off.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But remember Thomas Models isn't a definitve source.

Maybe try is it the IDIC page - that has a lot of original model pics.

Andrew

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I just noticed is that pic of the Enterprise the version from "The Cage"!?! Look at the Bussard collectors and the bridge dome...

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a pic of the symbol from the restored Enterprise from the Smithsonian. I assume they would've been faithful in recreating the emblem during the restoration, but you never know...

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps