Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 24th Century archaeology (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 24th Century archaeology
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A document uncovered from the ruins of old Los Angeles by a Daystrome Institute diving team, only minor water damage.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Trimm
Member # 865

- posted      Profile for Trimm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh that is very cool. I like the water damage effect.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diving team?!?! What the hell happened out there?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and a design from Chronowerx I see...very nice touch, that, and the DY acronym...

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oooh that is very cool. I like the water damage effect.
Personally I think the wave effect is a bit much, but the program I use won't allow wavelengths longer than 100 pixels...oh well.

quote:
Diving team?!?! What the hell happened out there?
If I remember correctly there is a line in "Future's End" that says that LA (and presumably the surrounding coastline) fell into the Pacific Ocean sometime in the 21st Century.
I'm actually having a hard time backing this up, I can't find any references to it in any of the sites I've check with.
Can anyone who has the episode handy or can remember the line confirm or deny this for me?

quote:
...and a design from Chronowerx I see...very nice touch, that, and the DY acronym...
While writing my DY Family article it occurred to me that by making the DY company a subsidiary of Chronowerx I could solve two problems at once. Those problems being the origin of the Botany Bay's supposedly advanced technology (I really didn't like Greg Cox's Area 51 explanation) and this ship was built and launched in secret, since only a large global corporation would have the political swing and the financial clout to pull off Khan's escape without CNN getting wind of it.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any connection between Kahn's sleeper ship and the S.S. Birdseye!?! Both were from roughly the same time. Maybe the DY is an 'Eastern' production - i.e. the Supermen and orbital vessels like the Birdseye were what the West were doing with the cryogenic tech. Maybe Kahn and co. used the Birdseye-cryogenic idea and adapted it to a ship?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wee Bairns
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Reverend.
Old Los Angeles, eh??

Regards
Wb

IP: Logged
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reference source is "Future's End, Part 1".
In the episode, Captain Janeway says LA will be destroyed by the Hermosa Earthquake of 2049. Apparently, from my understanding of other earthquakes, the city is consumed by the ocean soon after the quake.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of under the sea - shouldn't the Atlantis project be finished on Earth by Nemesis!?! We never see that new 'continent' appear in any 'Earth' episodes.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Possibly the designers realized that it was the WORST IDEA EVER and went with something more sensible, like nicer apartments in Barcelona or something.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm i would make it a bit less saturated. it looks a bit cartoonish.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah it could be a little more weathered/washed out.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hermosa Quake of 2047. And it's Singh, not Singe.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Speaking of under the sea - shouldn't the Atlantis project be finished on Earth by Nemesis!?! We never see that new 'continent' appear in any 'Earth' episodes.

But if the 'Atlantis' project IS under the sea, we wouldn't see it from orbit. Was the intention to manufacture an island, or an undersea colony?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Corrected a few mistakes and had another go at water damage.

-

quote:
Old Los Angeles, eh??
Maybe they built a new one, on Luna or Mars perhaps? [Wink]

Cheers Newark and Shik, I knew i didn't imagine it.
Just for the record though, which is it? 2049 or 2047?

As far as the Atlantis program goes I think they probably shit-canned the idea when they realised what bringing up a new sub-continent from the Atlantic seabed would do to the world's sea levels and coast lines. Apart from that, the impression that I got in "Family" was that the project was going nowhere with out a strong leader and since Picard declined the offer...

P.S. For those who are interested the diving team also uncovered a perfectly preserved CD-ROM containing the original file. [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps