Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » History of Starfleet hull markings (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: History of Starfleet hull markings
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've written and illustrated an article on my site about the history of Starfleet markings from Starfleet's beginning up through the late 24th Century.

I know the Flare group always have good insights and opinions, and I would appreciate feedback about the article. Are there things that seem outright wrong? Is there something I've majorly missed? Is it just great as it is now? [Smile]

I hope it is both informative and useful. Comments welcome!

Chronology of Starfleet Hull Markings

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the information. I was wondering when someone was going to do something like that. This helps with my shuttle and starship design. Thank you again. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't there some differences in the letter styles used in the first TOS pilot and the series? Particlularly, I think, seen in the "R"s "7"s and "1"s. Also, I think in the series they always used "I" instead of "1." Don't ask me why...

Perhaps you might want to add the symbol seen on the Excelsior prototypes and the prototype Grissom from production of STIII.

There's also the rather wierd pennants seen on the Prometheus's nacelles. It looks a bit (but not exactly) like the TNG era symbol but different.

Nice work.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good work alround.
However I'm certain that the E-E markings are slightly different again from Voyager's markings. (third up from the bottom)

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As has been mentioned in a previous thread - (I can't remember the name of it - but it was within the last week, that it was replied to) the bent yellow boomerang from TOS - is the "Starfleet" Symbol. It was seen in places like Starbases and in Commodore's offices, as well as on Starship hulls. The encyclopaedia never mentioned/drew anything about it.

Also there was the hull markings for the 29th century Relativity.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Also there was the hull markings for the 29th century Relativity.
Not that there is anything special about that one.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to be picky or anything - cause it looks great - but I think the 'insignia' needs to be a little more 'tight' - compared to what we see on the ship. I believe the Chronowerx emblem is exactly the same (i.e. Ed Begley Jr. pilfered it).

The 'diamond' is more flush with the underside of the 'delta'.

http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/w04.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input, gang!

MMoM:
I was thinking of including the Prometheus Class markings. At the time I did the article and gathered my decals, I didn't have the Prometheus drawn, but I was impatient to get the article online.

My focus for these markings are from canon sources, and although some of the Excelsior prototypes ended up at Wolf 359, they haven't been prominent enough to have pics and tons of info included in TMs or Encyclopedias; just a footnote at best.

If you can point me to links of pilot Enterprise markings, that'd be great. I know the AMT decal sheet had serifs on the "7", and generally just the wrong font...don't know about pilot 1701. All photos I can find of the series model had a serif on the "1". I just realized I have to change the "-" to something a lot shorter; it seems to be squarish, not a rectangle.

Reverend:
With the exception of the name being inside the stripe on the Ent-E, the markings are the same as Voyager. In your sketch, (very well done diagrams by the way) You have the Ent-E sripes as two distinct lines, where the studio miniature had a thick red solid piece behind the yellow symbol, that splits into two red lines - same as Voyager and Defiant.

Andrew R:
I did make mention that the 'boomerang' emblem was the Starfleet symbol for the time. I mentioned that the Enterprise arrowhead was adopted as the 'new' Starfleet symbol.

The scope of my article ends with the Nemesis timeframe, so speculatory 'future' stuff like Relativity isn't in it for now.

-----

Does anyone disagree with the dates I've used to demark the different eras?

--------------------
Stephen L.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Starfleet Extended Bold font used by the producers have included both the serifed and non-serifed "D" The E-D model had the serifed "D" while her E-D shuttles have used the non-serifed "D", both on the models and the full scale mockups.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Dat:

Yeah, I know both have been used. It's hard to limit my scope as there are so many exceptions. Such as: Does the "D" in Sutherland use one version over another. I guess I can only report on the majority. I may do a separate section on shuttlecraft, which will address this.

Also, notice that the Reliant's NCC-1864 uses the serif version "1", while the similar and still contemporary Bozeman NCC-1941, does not use the serif "1". It makes it really tricky to be too specific without listing ALL starships. Thanks for the input though!

[ December 08, 2002, 07:59: Message edited by: SoundEffect ]

--------------------
Stephen L.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the Enterprise-C have Starfleet Bold with a black outline instead of a red one? Yet another exception.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

SoundEffect
Member # 926

No, the Enterprise-C had the red outline too. You may be thinking of the horrible decals from the model kit, which also had Starfleet Bld Ex, all in black, on the nacelle pylons. There's plenty of Enterprise-C studio miniature pics with red outlined registries.

This Studio Pic is not the best, but one I found on short notice. If the outline of the registry were black, it would be far more prominent (as in the color of the actual letter). The red coloration is more obvious around the words "U.S.S. Enterprise"

--------------------
Stephen L.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

I have added an addendum of references and typeface examples for some additional clarification.

Chronology of Starfleet Hull Markings

--------------------
Stephen L.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sweet!

The only thing I see that strikes me funny is the typeface used on Daedalus class starships. On your page, you have them using the later font.

The only example we have is from Ben Sisko's desktop model, and you're correct in that the later font is used. But, given Enterprise's registry typeface and the continuity it suggests between NX-01 to NCC-1701, I'd chalk that up to an error on Sisko's part, not definitive proof of any switching-back-and-forth.

(Yes, the Daedalus model typeface bugged me when I saw it. I considered it a screw-up that the designers of Enterprise fixed, hence my opinion.)

Just a thought. Nicely done work you have there!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
As has been mentioned in a previous thread - (I can't remember the name of it - but it was within the last week, that it was replied to) the bent yellow boomerang from TOS - is the "Starfleet" Symbol. It was seen in places like Starbases and in Commodore's offices, as well as on Starship hulls. The encyclopaedia never mentioned/drew anything about it.

"TOS Starfleet Symbol" . . .
http://flare.solareclipse.net/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001019

I've been on about the thing lately. :-)
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWthisthing.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps