Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » A Wolf 359 model that never was... (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: A Wolf 359 model that never was...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisko said it was so overpowered that in initial trials it stalled and had to be oowed bac to starbase.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I always got the feeling that the Defiant was intentionally small and heavily armed/powered and was a radical concept because of it.

It's not like there were never small ships before it though.. the 11 deck Miranda is present in large numbers, the Oberth is tiny, as was the later Nova. Why do you assume that a small starship is such a hindrance?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Miranda and Oberth were not small at the time of their conception and entry into srvice.
Starfleet ships had become progressively larger into the 24th century and the Defiant seems to break the mold....leading to the "First Contact" family of ships that are departures in design and function like the Sabre and Steamrunner.
Building a smaller 5 deck ship for the DS9 era makes sense (and if you give it Nova nacelles it looks correct), but BOBW is waaay too soon for that kind of switch in thinking about starship design.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i gotta say, thats based on a helluva lotta assumption on your part. its not like small starships would be a new post-W359 idea. (of course, 359 obviously influenced their thinking).

no matter what Mirandae and Oberths were concieved as, the fact stands that small vessels DID IN FACT perform workhorse roles in the pre-BOBW 24th century Starfleet.. and if you add to that the assumption that some of the FC classes actually predate W359 (i'm looking at the NCC-5xxxx Steamrunner, here) you have a rather complete theory.

And the Defiant's 'new thinking' was the fact that it was a dedicated combatant, a warship, which was a no no up to that point. No one specifically said its size was a dynamic new idea.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The United States Navy has been building battleships and aircraft carriers for a hundred years now. That doesn't mean they've stopped building frigates, destroyers, and Coast Guard cutters...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the USN stopped building battleships a half-century ago, and has been building dedicated aircraft carriers only since the late 1920s (the first carrier, CV1 Langley, was converted from the old transport USS Jupiter in 1922).

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Good poinds on both counts, particularly about the registry numbers on the Steamrunner, but we've never seen or really heard of ships as small as 200 (ish)meters that did not have their origins in he TMP movie era prior to the Defiant project.
Even the New Orleans dwarfs a Miranda and has twice the interior volume of an Excelsior class (the real workhorse of the fleet).
It's entirely possible that the big lul in major conflict that seems to predate TNG's first season and the longivity of the starships themselves led to starship production grinding to a crawl.
It would explain why much of the fleet is still Miranda, Oberth and Excelsior class starships.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

weare full of good poinds!
Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/pc6072a5e2e30a7d76f5a88fb0e44a628/fcceec71.jpg

UPDATED verson with rim around it to make it look more like a constellation

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Better, bit it'll be much larger than 5 decks if that's the New Orleans' nacelles. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Akira
Member # 850

- posted      Profile for Akira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol im not perfect [Wink]

--------------------
Christopher
[email protected]
SR20Egg

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well there goes my hopes for peace in the middle east.
you've really let down the entire world, Akira.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps