Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » My list of retcons, as promised... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My list of retcons, as promised...
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
P.S. Here's the Mann class. The painting is a rougher version of what I'm building. One of my favorite pastimes is to "clean up" ship designs with good potential, but not necessarily the best execution.

Oooh! A Pre-TOS design! I recall seeing that in "Star Trek Chronology". Wish I could find another copy of that book! Loaned it to a friend just before I entered the USAF and lost contact w/him not long after. [Frown]

quote:
Originally posted by Warped1701:
quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
After all, they didn't take any of those old WWII era aircraft carriers and "upgrade" them to post-Korean War era spec's, did they...?

Actually the USS Midway was commissioned during the last days of WWII, and she was upgraded in 1955 after Korea was over.

quote:
Midway remained with the 7th Fleet until 28 June 1955 when she sailed for overhaul at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. Here, she was out of commission until 30 September 1957, while she was modernized and such new innovations as an enclosed bow and an angled flight deck were installed.
Got the quote from here

Oh, sure. Pull up proof that I was wrong. [Wink]

Thanks for the correction. I honestly thought that this never happened. I note that this seems to be a "one of" sort of thing, so wonder it if it was just too cost-prohibitive to do a major overhaul/refit like this...?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Midway & her sisters modernized with the British deck system along with all the Essex-class fleet carriers in the 50s. The Essex ships went throuch SCB 27A & 27C modifications; the 27As became the Hancock-class & the 27Cs the Oriskany-class. 27A has a 5-to-8-degree angle to the deck, 27C had a 10-degree angle. These mods also include lift repositioning, addition of steam cats, & missile launchers.

In the late 60s/early 70s, the Midways were rebuilt again with a wider flight deck & a repositioned portside lift. Franklin D. Roosevelt was stricken in 1977, & in the mid-80s, Midway & Coral Sea underwent more modernisations as well as SLEPS in the early 90s. Both have since been stricken & either scrapped or sold for scrap (there IS a difference). Interesting to note that due to their smaller sizes, Midway & Coral Sea could not embark a full 90-piece airgroup, using instead a reduced 76-piece wing. Major differences include the fact that Tomcats were not able to be embarked (thus necessitating the usage of Hornets for interceptor duties as well) & a lack of dedicated ASW craft.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure. Twist the knife of incorrectness further into my back.... [Wink]

Was that a GWII only config w/o ASW aircraft for Midway? I ask 'cause my uncle was some sort of avionics guy on ASW aircraft and did a cruiser on her back in the 70's or 80's. Kind of curious to know if you've got that info, tho am not at all challenging you on that. I sort of figure that w/today's ASW tech in all the USN ships out there it might have made little difference in her deploying w/ASW aircraft. Especially since the Iraqi Navy didn't exactly have much of a sub threat. [Big Grin]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two friends of mine are going to be attending a prom somewhere in Bremerton. IT IS A SMALL WORLD WITH MANY CONNECTIONS AMONG THE PEOPLE IN IT. Plus, they are college students who are doing it as a "favor" to high school students. Tacky? OH YES.
Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
... were it not for the first season episode "Court Martial". For that episode, Jeffries -- in his capacity as Art Director -- created a wall graphic for Commodore Stone's office on Starbase 11. For those who are unable to see this, it is a wall chart listing "STAR SHIP STATUS"...
--Jonah

Awfully difficult to tell the 6's and 8's from one another in that chart. Guess that explains how the Intrepid, in my copy of the Star Trek Encyclopedia, ended up being listed as both NCC-1631 and NCC-1831 in seperate entries.

Perfect example of why Jeffries
quote:
eliminated all the numerals that look unclear on a TV screen, and that left him with '1', '4', '7', and '0'. And with those to work with, '1701' was as good as anything.
Doesn't bode well for my model though - she's NCC-1251 [Smile]

Cheers!

Jim

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wonder what would have transpired if they'd had HDTV back then... *heh*

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps