Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Design a Starship! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Design a Starship!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on a description. I'd like to see how different people interpret it.

TOS-era starship, from the Constitution/Miranda family tree.

The secondary hull is attached directly to the saucer section, from the mid point back (i.e., there is no neck, the two sections "merge" into each other). The bottom of the saucer is flat, to allow for the deflector to be unblocked. The nacelles are level with the lower section of the secondary hull, and are attached via "L" shaped pylons emerging from the upper half of the secondary hull.

On the spine of the secondary hull, and rising near aft-section of the primary hull, a conning tower is topped with a torpedo launcher, just above bridge height.

If you design this ship as pencil to paper, or computer image, please post your interpretation of this design.

Thanks.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this thread be a ways down?

Can't help you with the design, but if you need a bridge...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need a bridge for a design!!!
Help Obi-Nguyen: You're my only hope.
I need a Soverign style re-design bridge for my USS Merrimac and my USS Andor too! [Wink]
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1755600&uid=657989

I have some ideas for this chalenge too though...
...something like a TOS era Andor design.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm, I'm intrigued. Got specs or mission parameters? Crew complement, area of operations, expected mission types? For example, the Merrimac has an unusual warp nacelle configuration - this could be reflected on the bridge by expanded or dual engineering consoles.

Message me - we'll talk. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She should carry about 350-400 crew, expected mission types include long-range exploration, and defense of Federation interests. Essentially, the same as the Constitution-Class.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Methinks this should be in DAC...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now you're down to only two wishes.
....and no, you can't just wish for more wishes. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you're saying "Constitution/Miranda tree", do you mean the exact same parts (like most fandom ships), or just a contemporary design?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Contemporary design, with similar design elements.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

So, hmmm, nice designs so far!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eh. I'd help out if I had drawing skill, unfortunately, I don't.
I do notice that your description does resemble one of the low level frigate designs from that wonderful time-wasting game SFC.

screenshot1
Minus the conning tower of course.
In any case, the game quickly showed me why you don't randomly spin around your ship looking for a good angle for a screen shot [Smile]
screenshot-2

Anyways, this pseudo-useless tangent has been brought to you by the single-cycle computer and the 2's complement number 10010110.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here. [Razz]

-

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

There we GO!

Er. Nacelles? [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I'm trying to figure the nacelles out.

--------------------

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the original specs require the nacelles to be on opposite sides... they are obviously both on the other side [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps