Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pre-ENT era warpship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pre-ENT era warpship
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lurker pops out of the ether again....

I was inspired a while back by the ship we barely see just before the Enterprise in the opening credits. All you can tell as it streaks by is that there is a saucer attached to the front of a lifting body-type aft section. I started to try to recreate it, but I decided to go my own way, mostly because there are way to many greeblies on the underside of that ship!

Anyway, my ship exists before ENT, in the time when efficient SSTO engines weren't quite small enough for a shuttle. So, this ship is a compromise between warp capabilities (the saucer section) and aerodynamic capabilities (lifting body shape). Even the saucer section gives some lift. This ship would travel mostly between planets with atmospheres, especially between Earth and Mars at any point in their orbits.

For now, I've stolen the nacelles from another design of mine since I suck at nacelles. It needs some other details and refinements, but let me know what you guys think!

http://www.mindspring.com/~bj.o/BJ_art/ent-spaceplane1.jpg

B.J.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks really nice, but the perspectives are incompatible. The top view puts the wing at the right side, the side view puts it on the left side. Intentional?
Is it movable, for ambidextriosity? :-)

The wide empty space on the dorsal area, maybe it could be filled with...something?
Not necessarily a bulky and pointy device (un-aerodynamical), but a texture or grille or something.

What are the dimensions?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That could be just the missing link. Reminds me of the ship in the opening credits. A warp ship still small enough for frequent take up and landings. The obvious question, however, is if such a small ship needs a saucer.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's definitely a nice-looking design, but I also question the need for a saucer on such a small ship. If the overall ship design were approximately comparable to the NX-01, it'd probably make a bit more sense. But not if it's so tiny, IMO.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever cobbled together what the ship right before Enterprise in the opening credits looks like or might look like? We know it has a saucer and we know it has nacelles and Star Destroyer-like impulse engines... I thought someone had put together a possible configuration....

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim: Oh yes, it only has one wing, but it moves in the fourth dimension! [Razz] Something will go on the dorsal area, but it may just be panel lines to break up the surface. As for size, I haven't determined that yet.

Thanks, Bernd. I really don't know why it would have a saucer, but I figured that something with a lifting body shape that lands can't be that big. Maybe at this point in time they were experimenting and trying to get as much performance out of the shape as possible, and the saucer gave them the last few percent they needed? [Confused]

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Has anyone ever cobbled together what the ship right before Enterprise in the opening credits looks like or might look like? We know it has a saucer and we know it has nacelles and Star Destroyer-like impulse engines... I thought someone had put together a possible configuration....

I did, I pencilled a 3-plan sketch of it. It's rough and I haven't scanned it in. Do you want me to?

I'd love if someone did a nice graphic version of it. I don't have the time. It's been sitting on my filing cabinet for a couple of months.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those blue panels look like windows for a cockpit, which makes it look no more than 60-70 meters or smaller.

I wouldn't call the front half a "saucer", more like a circular nose.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Small update:
http://www.mindspring.com/~bj.o/BJ_art/ent-spaceplane2.jpg
I added the rest of the landing gear and a person for scale, and I added in new nacelles, as well as other minor details. The ship is approximately 74 meters long, about the same size as a 747 (71 meters).

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew: Yes please! [Smile]
Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew I would like to see it as well. [Wink] I wish that there was an official technical manual depicting that ship for reference.

Great Job BJ_O. Are you planning on doing any more orthographics on your ship?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

I'll do the other views eventually. Just have to find time.

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK cool.

Warning it IS rough.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Final update. I added the front view and a couple of size comparisons. I had to make the image 1600 pixels wide to get some decent detail to show up. Personally, I like it how it is now, so I don't think I'll be doing anything else to it.
ent-spaceplane3.gif

AndrewR: You ever going to post that sketch?

B.J.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. [Big Grin]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps