Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Request (thelastguardian, especially)

Author Topic: Request (thelastguardian, especially)
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shane, I asked for you in particular because of everything you had access to for MSG. In a pinch, I can probably ask Andy directly, but I don't like to bother him about his old Trek work overmuch...

For some of my AutoCAD projects, I'm going to need some pretty detailed measurements of the movie Enterprises -- all of them. *chuckle* Since the Enterprise, Excelsior, and Galaxy classes have been used as the basis for everything we've seen from TMP on (with the exception of Rick's Pegasus drawing), I want dimensions mostly of their saucers and nacelles. If you (or someone) can start me off with the following measurements taken off the Enterprise class, I can get started on those projects...

Primary hull radius
Pitch of primary hull edge (the angle of the rim)
Radii of the concentric dorsal and ventral deflector gridlines
Radius of primary hull undercut
Types of curves employed for dorsal and ventral slopes
Radius of the typical navigation/formation light and its housing
Spacing and thickness of the saucer rim stripes
Placement and dimensions of incidental features such as windows, hatches, and phaser banks
Radius of forward sweep of decks 2-3, and length (from centerpoint) of aft extension
Height of decks 2-3 structure, measured from top plane of saucer rim
Positioning, height, and inset depth of deck 2-3 window strip
Height of VIP lounge window portion of said strip
Thickness and positioning of red stripes bordering said strip

That's all I can think of for the generalities right now. I'll get back to the bridge, lower sensor platform, and impulse engines after I've got the basics. I also need comparable measurements for the other classes I mentioned above. If anyone out there can help me with this, let me know, and I'll provide the exact measurements I need to have something to work with.

Thanks in advance, all of you.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I'll be able to help you, but I'm curious to know: are you looking for measurements from the studio model or for the "real" ships?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I expect that sort of info to actually be available, but it would be nice for my model too... or scare me away from making it, heh heh.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The real ships. I do my AutoCAD stuff in 1:1 scale, and then reduce as necessary for printing purposes...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
The real ships. I do my AutoCAD stuff in 1:1 scale, and then reduce as necessary for printing purposes...

--Jonah

Like that UK show "Art Attack" where that guy does art work on a large scale... [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

*chuckle* Maybe. For some reason, I just find it easier to wrap my head around the "real" numbers. Scaling things down for the initial construction feels too much like playing with toys. At full scale, I can "feel" the ship's mass in my mind, walk the corridors, sense what layouts work and what systems and storage facilites are needed, etc.

Fun, really. Just wish I could get paid for it. [Razz]

--Jonah

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had the money - imagine building a 1:1 Enterprise!! - Would it have to be below ground like on Gideon!?! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps