Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Timeline Challenge #1: The Eugenics Wars (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Timeline Challenge #1: The Eugenics Wars
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not forget the line in the DS9 episode with Bashir's parents where the Admiral states the Eugenics wars took place "200 years ago". That would place them a good century later than was originally established, yes?

I guess the easiest explanation, if not the most satisfying one, is that sometime between the TOS era and the DS9 era, there was a change in the timeline which pushed the Eugenics Wars back a little bit. This would explain why there is no evidence of them in "Past Tense" or "Future's End"

Maybe Starling or Braxton messed the timeline up.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan McReynolds:

quote:
Originally posted by coatlantis1745:
to a hodge-podge of space shuttle and conjectural S.S. Valiant components in the NASA vessel Charybdis in 2037 (TNG Reckoning)

P.S. That wasn't an actual design on an actual Okudagram, that was drawn by one of your fellow posters...
Shhhh! Don't tell him which one. Or else I'll set the Kung Fu Armadillos on you!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 line wasn't intended to move the date, though. Moore said he just had "The Wrath of Khan" too much in mind while writing.

Incidently, removing the 1996 line would be a horrible idea, just because Montalban says it so well.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the books were ok, if not for drama then for their well researched continuity stitching. Greg Cox really does make it all work out, you know..
coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

- posted      Profile for coatlantis1745     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So do you propose that there was no global nuclear conflict in the 2050s?

At this point, discussion of a global nuclear conflict in the mid-twenty-first century is beyond the scope of my conditions set for this timeline challenge.

--------------------
All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by. . .

-John Masefield

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

- posted      Profile for coatlantis1745     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In any case, it wasn't Berman and Braga (those evil, evil men that everyone trots out when they want to whine about modern Trek) who came up with a global conflict after the 1990s. "A Matter of Time" (TNG) established a nuclear holocaust in the mid-21st century. "Encounter at Farpoint" (TNG) established 2079 as being in the post-atomic horror. "The Savage Curtain" (TOS) referred to a genocidal war in the 21st century.

No, there was clearly a large-scale war in the mid-21st century, and there was nothing wrong with Dark Lord Berman and his Imperial Viceroy Braga running with that in First Contact. There are three ways to go with it. Either:

1.) The Eugenics Wars were just a regional conflict... that involved tyranny over a quarter of the planet, entire populations bombed out of existence, and the brink of a new dark ages for humanity.

2.) The nuclear holocaust was just a regional conflict... that created a planet-wide nuclear winter, threw nations into anarchy, and led humanity to the brink of a new dark ages just a few decades after recovering from the last brink.

3.) They were the same war.

I'm not sure which you support. Obviously, I support number 3. That just leaves the question of dates. The fact that TOS came first doesn't mean that it can't be superceded than anything later. In fact, Roddenberry routinely changed his premises, retconning older ideas throughout the original series. From lasers-phasers to UESPA-Starfleet to Earth-Federation, the man and his staff were never loathe to change their minds. And as we saw above, they had no problem adding a new global war after their previously established "last world war."

That said, there is far more support for a later date for the global conflcit than the earlier. Aside from the Roddenberry-approved references in my first paragraph, there was First Contact, in which it was said directly that the war was a decade before 2063. If the nuclear war was seventy years before the film, it makes Cochrane's situation a little less credible. There is the fact that every time we've seen contemporary Earth, from the 1960s to the 1990s, it has appeared virtually identical to the real world. Khan was genetically engineered by people with no obvious technological advantage over us in the 1950s or 60s... or he was engineered by people with a technological advantage over us in the 2000s or 10s. There is the DY-100 nuclear-powered cryogenic interplanetary vessel, first in a entire family of DY-ships, being more advanced than the Ares of 2032 in "One Small Step" (VGR). There was the space shuttle on many an Enterprise display, demonstating again the technological parity between the universes. Finally, there is all of Enterprise's references to the war, for whatever they're worth.

Or, we can go with Spock's uncertain reference from fragmentary records.

Tough one. [Wink]

quote:
to a hodge-podge of space shuttle and conjectural S.S. Valiant components in the NASA vessel Charybdis in 2037 (TNG Reckoning)

P.S. That wasn't an actual design on an actual Okudagram, that was drawn by one of your fellow posters...
No one is here to whine Im sure, and if your taking my statements made thus far as whining, then that is very unfortunate. Nevermind anyway.

Recalling the fact that I asked anyway up for this challenge to please restrict their sources to the TOS-Era, you would be advised to understand that in "The Savage Curtain" Yarnek said and I qoute "Colonel Green, who led a genocidal war EARLY in the twenty-first century on Earth", stress EARLY now if you will. By my reckoning, early can mean anywhere from 2001 to 2035 (I tend to like 2035 myself but I won't digress). Again, Colonel Green's War is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Now well discuss your itemized statements:

1). Could not have been a regional conflict if it involved at least forty of Earth's nations as stated in "Space Seed". Khan being the sole tyrant of one-quarter of Earth from Asia to the middle east. The rest of your statement here is valid.

2). Again, beyond the scope of this discussion.

3). An invalid statement since the dates for this conflict were clearly mentioned onscreen as being from 1992-1996.

Regarding your choice of 3, that is ofcourse as you wish, but it involves factors which are again beyond the scope of etc etc. The fact that Gene Roddenberry changed his premises is not disputed. It is in fact what drives me to limit the scope of the discussion to strictly TOS-Era material.

In summary, given a choice, I will go with Spock's data on this subject as it is entirely relevant to my timeline challenge.

--------------------

-John Masefield

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
There's also the fact that, realistically, any reference to a big scary world wide war in the 90s that wiped out a whole lot of people is just going to confuse the casual viewer (for which read at least 80% of everyone watching).

So apart from oh-so-cute DS9 references (which placed them in the 2200s anyway, thanks to Mr Ronald "oh, he's soooo much better than Braga because he likes canon stuff" Moore fucking up), I doubt we're ever going to get any out and out comments along the lines of "there was a war in 1996 that was big and scary".

In fact, I would have personally removed the "1996" line from TWOK if I were in charge of the special edition, but I am evil like that.

Anyway, that doesn't stop people from having interesting and thoughtful opinions on the subject. I think they are ultimatly pointless, but I think the same thing about shiplists, so go ahead.

Alright, welcome to the discussion. That "big, scary war" as you put it DID HAPPEN as stated in the episode "Space Seed". It is in fact 1 of 78 episodes that established a framework of continuity for a television series. Now, if succeeding series claim to be a continuation of that story, then wouldn't it be in the best interests of intelligent and loyal viewers like ourselves to watch the show build upon the foundation of its founders??

I am clearly prepared to watch Enterprise come and go and never make any references to that "big, scary war". Again, what Enterprise chooses to do with the continuity is immaterial to this timeline challenge.

Fortunately for the rest of us concerned with continuity, you were NOT in charge of the audio editing process. The line is established continuity so your stuck with it (Thats is assuming you give a rat's tush about the foundation that TOS has provided)

Now, if our opinions are all indeed pointless on this matter then. . . why have you responded to this at all to this challenge? [Smile]

--------------------

-John Masefield

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
1. Let's not forget the line in the DS9 episode with Bashir's parents where the Admiral states the Eugenics wars took place "200 years ago". That would place them a good century later than was originally established, yes?

2. I guess the easiest explanation, if not the most satisfying one, is that sometime between the TOS era and the DS9 era, there was a change in the timeline which pushed the Eugenics Wars back a little bit. This would explain why there is no evidence of them in "Past Tense" or "Future's End"

Maybe Starling or Braxton messed the timeline up.

1). Pass this throwaway line over to the realm of not bothering to calculate the amount of time passage between 1996 and the 2370s.

2). That is indeed an understatement [Smile]

--------------------

-John Masefield

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:

quote:

Shhhh! Don't tell him which one. Or else I'll set the Kung Fu Armadillos on you!
I confess I am not sure exactly who the author of that fine illustration was, but do tell him it was an impressive drawing anyway. [Smile]

--------------------

-John Masefield

coatlantis1745
Member # 1034

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
the books were ok, if not for drama then for their well researched continuity stitching. Greg Cox really does make it all work out, you know..

As I stated earlier, Greg Cox did a fine job in stating his case for the entire sequence of events, I just happen to think that he should have left the cloak and dagger premise behind.

--------------------

-John Masefield

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In summary, given a choice, I will go with Spock's data on this subject as it is entirely relevant to my timeline challenge.

Indeed, and I apologize for hijacking your thread. This is the creativity forum, after all.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps