Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Star Trek TMP / Generations Soundstage Plans

Author Topic: Star Trek TMP / Generations Soundstage Plans
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the soundstage plan for TMP was published in a fan tech manual. Could someone please post same?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drule...

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The layout for the soundstage in Voyager was published on a page in Stephen Edward Poe's book: "A Vision of the Future: Star Trek Voyager". The major sets are still in the same places that they were back in TMP days. If I can get a scan of that I'll post here.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. Here is a smaller version. My large scan is too big to upload or email. The rooms are pretty apparent from the shapes.

ST: Voyager - Stage 9

--------------------
Stephen L.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still want the TNG stage layout!

I can recongize engineering. Is the room on the left the Transporter Room, the one above that Sickbay, the room top right without a bottom "wall" the holodeck or a cargobay (or interchangeable?), I have NO idea what that room in the middle is.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

SoundEffect
Member # 926

You have all the locations right and those were the same sets as in TNG. The one in the middle is the small crew quarters like Harry Kim; the room with no windows. In TNG it would've been Data's or Worf's quarters and in the movie era it was Kirk's or Spock's.

There is only one Holodeck/Cargo door and you've correctly identified it in the upper right. It was the Cargo Bay, Holodeck, Shuttlebay, etc.

--------------------
Stephen L.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I still want the TNG stage layout!

Perhaps this layout?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen this before... where did it come from?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Neuty - that is it!
It is only slightly modified from TMP.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe this is an early draft of the final sets... Which had subsequently been modified for the show's latter seasons.

For starters, I'm sure the corridor doesn't go that far clockwise from Sickbay. It goes maybe 45 degrees, and then goes to a turbolift door and the large cargo doors, which lead to the cargo bay or holodeck or shuttlebay or whatever "swing" set they needed that week. From there the corridor goes only a little further before ending in a door that is rarely used - it once led to Kamala's quarters in "The Perfect Mate", but rarely actually went anywhere.

Furthermore, the "conference room" probably didn't end up there for the first season. The set was at that time still doubling as the sickbay wall (with carpet draped over the windows), but when the corridor was seen from the c. room set it never showed the door that leads to the transporter room. It also wasn't in that orientation - my guess is that the c. room was on the swing set area mentioned before. To my knowledge, the door opposite the transporter room was never shown going anywhere except into a nondescript room where unconscious security guards conveniently fell ("The Hunted"), or for Wesley to duck into so clueless security guards can walk right by the OPEN DOOR without bothering to look in ("The Game").

What's that room at the bottom of the plan that seems to contain two "pool table" consoles? For starters, there only ever was one "pool table" prop, and I don't remember offhand any set that had that particuar shape. It can't be the captain's quarters, as that was on a different corridor set.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
To my knowledge, the door opposite the transporter room was never shown going anywhere except into a nondescript room where unconscious security guards conveniently fell ("The Hunted"), or for Wesley to duck into so clueless security guards can walk right by the OPEN DOOR without bothering to look in ("The Game").

The room opposite the Transporter Room was seen various times as Deanna's Counseling Office, the Metaphasic Shield development lab and as Neela Daran's Stellar Cartography Lab. Other than the Transporter, it was one of the few wide-door sets.

The Captain's Quarters set was on another soundstage across from Ten Forward. There was a shared hallway in between complete with seating.

--------------------
Stephen L.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
I've never seen this before... where did it come from?

I came from The 24th Century Technical Manual (Galaxy Class Special Edition #1).

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps