Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Painting the Bird of Prey

Author Topic: Painting the Bird of Prey
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had a Klingon Bird of Prey model sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. It's the "Generations" model. I finally decided to assemble the thing, and step one is painting it. I haven't built a model in YEARS, and I'm looking forward to this project.

I'm looking for any advice as to painting and assembling my Bird of Prey. I can't afford anything fancy - spray paint and brush will be my medium on this "hunk of junk." Any advice would be welcome, thanks!

(PS - would "drab green" be a good base?)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'd use water based acrylic paints for a kick-off. They don't smell bad, wash out easy and go on a treat. While the models still on the sprues give it an all-over basecoat of matt white, then once that's dried you can take the parts off, clean up any flash and then either paint the base green colour on or assemble the sub-assemblies and then paint them green. Remeber to clean the paint off the glued joints first though. [Big Grin]

Next move would be to add any other colours, maybe the reds of the panels underneath and the different shades of green for the top panels. Acrylics mix easily, so I just add a dab of white or black to make slightly different shades of the same colour, and it looks quite subtle on the panels. Once that's done it's on to weathering, usually either an ink wash or a very watered down green/black mix, which gives us our dirt and wear lines. Next might be a similar thing with rust colours, then finally there'd be light dry-brushing with silver or rust to finish it off.

Last step would be adding decals, painting in fine details like lights and engine glows and that's pretty much it. I do miss it a bit since I moved to making virtual 3D models instead, just writing this has got me in the mood to try a plastic kit again, but I sure don't miss the mess.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I built that very same "Generations" Bird-of-Prey model myself about six years ago -- I still think it's one of my best efforts!

For the base coat, I ended up using "SAC Bomber Green" spray paint bought at one of the general hobby shops. I've still got the leftover paint can sitting in my closet -- the color code is "FS 34159." I think that that color came out almost perfectly, considering the variation of coloring that we've seen over the years. IMO it looks most like the BOPs from the DS9 era -- a bit darker and duller, but more weathered and battle-scarred.

IIRC, I ended up using basic red paint for the feathered underside, but I applied it with basic brush strokes without making sure of a completely even coat, so that it looked weathered a bit as well. As it dried, it came out just slightly splotchy -- not enough to look like a bad modeler's paint job, but more like a Klingon dockworker's job. [Wink]

I can probably get some quick digital images snapped for you, if you'd like...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of links that may provide you with some ideas for doing the BOP [Big Grin] :

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/trek/trekshp2.htm#klingon

http://www.culttvman.com/trek.html

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember building my BOP. I think it was one of the most successful models I've done in terms of realism. Though the port disrupter has snapped off twice and is now beyond repair...

Anyway, I agree with most of what has been suggested already. I started with SAC Bomber Green spray paint over the whole thing after assembly. The only things unassembled at the time were the warp engine vents which i did in a dark grey of some kind.

Once it was totally assemebled, I used thin washes of watered down acrylic for all the details. I took crimson red mixed with various browns and thinly washed on the red wings panel by panel, building different sections up to different strengths. Same with the hull panels and piping.

For weathering and glowies, I used an airbrush running watered down acrylics again. If you get a real fine stream, you can subtly weather in some of the panels and little rust streaks and stuff.

This washes of dark green and brown were faded in in the areas where I wanted more shadow.

It was just a generally fun kit.

A side note: I sawed off about 10 degrees of each of the vents so that the wings would fold up above the horizontal axis of the ship.they're not as high as landing position, but it definitely looks manacing.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the suggestion for SAC Bomber Green. That's the color I chose for mine as well, and I was very happy with the shade of green. Here's a couple of pics of it here:

My Bird of Prey Model

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps