Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Close Quater Combat Phaser Rifle Help

Author Topic: Close Quater Combat Phaser Rifle Help
cable078
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, Im trying to design a Close Quater Combat Phaser Rifle but im no good at it. Could someone in here help me out?
IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would you like someone here to design one for you?

Are you having trouble picturing one visually?

Does it have a stock? If so, folding or fixed? What kind of grips does it have? What does the emitter look like? Is there a replaceable energy charge? Can it be wielded as effectively one handed as it can be two handed? Has it been designed with the idea that it could be used as a physical weapon (i.e., a baton) in case using it as a phaser became impossible?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I normally won't point out typos, but since this happened in both the subject title and within the message body... it's "Quarter".

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless 078 meant close to Qatar, in which case it is still wrong....

But then, Jeff's questions yet remain....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Cable if you stick around for awhile some one may be able to help you. For now though I would suggest a web search. There are alot of pages with the information you need on the web. Just type in Phaser Rifle and you will find them.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might want to stop and think about why a close-quarters weapon would need to be a "rifle", too.

In WWII, people started thinking about close-quarters fighting, first because there were a lot of motor vehicles and drivers who needed protection but couldn't carry a bulky rifle, second because experiences from the front showed that the long range of a rifle was not needed, and that high rate of fire was more important. Thus were created (or elevated to significance) the assault rifle and the submachine gun.

What you probably are aiming at is one or the other of those. And the currently existing phaser rifles are essentially assault rifles anyway. For a submachine gun, perhaps something the size of TOS hand phasers would be the best bet?

In fact, I usually think of the ST5:TFF phasers as "submachine guns" and those used in ST2 and TNG "Yesterday's Enterprise" as "pistols". Both could be used concurrently, as shown, but the former packs more punch and is more a weapon of war.

If you want a greater visual difference between "pistols" and "submachine guns", you could add a second handle to a ST5 hand phaser, or perhaps an extra-large power clip. Or add even more of those "heavy-duty" elements that were used in the ST5 weapon, like perforated "steel frames" and "cooling ribs" etc.

Alternately, you could downscale from the TNG-era phaser rifles. For example, shorten it a bit, and remove the sighting device, since it's unnecessary in close quarters.

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds a little like the "riot gun" attachment designed for the early TNG type IIs, viewable in some sketchbook or other. (Or was it part of the season three redesign?)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The initial design for the sniper rifle in ST6:TUC was that it would be based around the assault phaser pistol; I have a picture of the concept model. Eventually they decided to go with a whole new alien design.

Someone I know on the web is currently building a riot gun extension, he has cast a preliminary mould and it looks fantastic.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps phaser carbine would be a better name for it; phaser submachine gun doesn't really work [Wink] . Perhaps a folding stock system would work?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with the normal Type II hand phaser? It features the full range of phaser power settings, is the equivalent of fully automatic (i.e. a beam is emitted as long as you hold down the trigger), and is hand-sized. In Trek, the rifle is supposed to add power reserves and range, and probably better targetting capability. For close-quarters combat, like on board a ship where you'd expect to use it anyway, the phaser pistol is already ideal, no?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

Perhaps a weapon larger than a hand phazer with better targeting than the simple point and pull that ST shows so often.Pin point accuracy at close range proves usefull in hostage situations. Extra hardware for rotating the beam to counter Borg type shields more efficiently. An added projectile firing barrel for use inside dampening fields.It could fire heavy anti material grenades. The stock could be both folding and detachable. It could carry an extra replaceable energy source. Make it modular. It could be customized for various mission requirements.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want inspiration for an elite close-quarters weapon, my main recommendation is the Jem'Hadar plasma rifle Mk.II.

It strikes me as the most evolved rapid-fire, compact weapon of all Star Trek.
Stock, grip and barrel, nothing more, nothing fancy that will shatter if you drop it. Very ergonomic as well.

The centrally aligned barrel prevents muzzle-flipping, the broad stock gives a sturdy grip and steady aim.

High rate of fire, apparently one-shot-one-kill, Nog lost his whole leg from a grazing shot of the older version of the weapon.

-

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, where'd that side-image come from? It's way better than any I have. . .

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually downsized that.

Hm, here.
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/205/jhps01.jpg

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
Member # 393

Nifty. It looks like the image has been slightly cropped underneath, can't remember what's meant to go there.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps