Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Europa Class Frigate (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Europa Class Frigate
Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao's Avenger got me thinking......
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
I also remember seeing a ship design (possibly a NX-01 prototype) with an ventral turret. Just bashed this together as a concept.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good overall shape but I hate the nacelles and the deflector.
If you swap the nacelles for the TOS version and drop the deflector just beneath the saucer it'll look great.
I DO like the twin shuttlebays.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

It was originally one shuttlebay coming out from behind the bridge, but I decided to try this and it looked great. I have a couple nacelle ideas as well!
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, I like the deflector where it is.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just think this is a good chance to make a TOS Akira-style deflector.
Kinda a step between the NX-01 and the TOS version we've seen rendered by Revrend (?).

Y'now, with a minimum of tweaking, the space between the shuttlebays could accomidate a large-ish container pod/ hospital/crew/fuel unit.
just change the impulse engines to the TOS kind and drop the container unit slightly lower that the line of vents.
Just a thought.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool ship. I like the semi-recessed torp launchers and the excavated deflector housing. The catamaran looks good, but I always have trouble rationalizing two non-communicating shuttle bays. I should mention that for Avenger I rotated the original Jason Colbert nacelles 90 degrees to fit the pennant.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Makotokat
Member # 1041

I like thw torp launchers on the avenger and decided to make them prominent on the Frigate. I agree about the non-communicating shuttlebays. Perhaps I should take Jason's suggestion and fill in the area between, moving the impulse engine back. Now that I think of it, linking them would give a larger hanger space (fighter carrier or marine transport. I also canted the nacelles up 15 degrees to clear the Phase cannon turret giving it a 360 degree arc.
Makotokat
Member # 1041

Variant....
 -
 -
 -

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say loose the new central shuttlebay and move the impulse engines back there instead. This would make that entire central section the engineering hull which I think is by far the more realistic option. You can keep the basic shape of the hanger cove to house the impulse engines, just invert the angle so it slants forwards instead of backwards.

I would also mate the three outboard hull just forward of the pylons, where the saucer rim starts to allow shuttles or workerbees to pass from one bay into the other.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Makotokat
Member # 1041

I did toy with a connecting tube, let me try that. I'm also considering a ventral rear-firing torp launcher from the lower hull. I even am considering a version which loses one torp launcher, relocating the other to a central position, and placing another set of shuttlebays forward to turn it into a through deck carrier (land at the back, launch out the front) On the nacelle front I'm still looking for ideas. straight nacelles look odd on such a chunky little ship, maybe something a bit more fluted....
Makotokat
Member # 1041

-
 -
 -

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Wow!
I really dig that through-deck version!
...although not those nacelles for that particular ship.
A nice elipse shaped deflector (more round than NX-01 though) would look cool and allow for more torpedo clearance.
I really dont like the turrett on the ventral side: a couple of TOS-style divits (weapons ports) on each side of the ship's secondary hull (starboard and port) would work nicely.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know. Having three cylinders out the back and two entrances at the front is getting pretty busy.
For me, the engineering hull is the main problem. It extends back very far for no other reason than to hold the impulse thrusters. I think if you had a more compact engineering section as on the first version, you could still have a communication between the bays either ahead or behind of engineering and then run the plasma conduits under the shuttle bays to nacelles.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

A good point, Masao.

Plus, where do all the crew live?
It seems a bit cramped with all the shuttles, engineering and stuff....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Makotokat
Member # 1041

Now they have to have living quarters???? Good Point! I like the carrier idea but the central pod is a bit cumbersome. If I drop the turret however that gives more room in the lower hull, maybe extending it back into the central engineering hull (lowering it maybe?) and dropping the nacelles underneath. more living area could extend behind the connecting bay. Put a pair of phase cannons (one eitherside) on the underside of the booms and we might just have a ship. I'll experiment with an elliptical deflector but I've never really been a fan of those.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps