Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Cargobay Doors

Author Topic: Cargobay Doors
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my efforts to expand my repertoire I tested my abilities (or lack thereof) in masking and photo manipulation, something that I very rarely use.
Anyway, I thought some of you might enjoy giggling at my attempt. [Wink]

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real nice color and shades. I like it, though don't forget that in ST-V we see what it looks like on the other side. There should probobly be two smaller doors with a turboshaft in the middle. NOT exactly a match with what we see in TMP, but.. what is?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Open the pod bay doors please, Rev"

Looks really nice! Forgive my ignorance, but why should that warning text be on the doors?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And where do those doors go? [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Real nice color and shades. I like it, though don't forget that in ST-V we see what it looks like on the other side. There should probobly be two smaller doors with a turboshaft in the middle. NOT exactly a match with what we see in TMP, but.. what is?
Well given that the ST:V Enterprise was a totally different ship, I suppose there is room for variation.
Perhaps I could do the E-A version of the cargo bay later on.

quote:
"Open the pod bay doors please, Rev"

Looks really nice! Forgive my ignorance, but why should that warning text be on the doors?

"I'm sorry Harry, but I'm afraid I can't do that."

To remind people to be careful of low hovering worker-bees and of variable gravity fields.

quote:
And where do those doors go?
To the sides. You can see them retracted in Probert's original painting.

UPDATE

The number of panals has been increased so they're now small enough to retract into the sides. I've also added a layers of dirt, shine, shadow and a reflection.

-

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so cool I have to wear a sweater.

As for the ST5:TFF view, that would be of another bulkhead entirely. That one should go between the shuttle lift area that is aft of these doors, and the actual hangar bay that is seen on the far background.

The TMP design does not allow for that exact configuration because there is no central turboshaft there. But apart from that, you could do very similar doors for the TMP ship, too.

And you could do the retracting decks Probert speaks about, too...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well an easy way to explain all the problems with the E-A in TFF is that they had a collective dream induced by McCoy's burbon beans - they all fell into a dream. The hint is "Life is but a dream"

So there is no Spock's half-brother, Klaa has always been a translator on Q'Onos, there are the correct number of decks. The never went to the center of the galaxy. It's all Kirk's dream... all the rocky planets - because of the rock climbing he'd been doing that day. Kirk not letting Sybok get into his brain (cause he's the one dreaming it all). Sybok being a half brother of Spock's... Spock recently having his Katra (one half) rejoined with his other half (his regenrated body). Kirk having god-like delusions of grandeur - a high after having cheated death several time just 'recently'... Genesis and Kahn, Kruge and the Enterprise and Genesis, Going back in time and forward again successfully. And not dying after falling off the face of El Capitan. All can be explained away as a dream by Kirk the night of his fall and the burbon beans. [Smile] OK maybe thought about that a little too much! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My own dream is that burbon has adverse affects on Vulcans and Spok takes the can of beans and caves Kirk's head in, then burns the body in the campfire, mind-melds McCoy's memories away and becomes Enterprise's new captain for the final film.

See? All better now.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE

-

This time I've corrected the reflection map.
Now you can see the starboard side turbo-shaft and a section of the roof.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So this is.. Paint Shop Pro? Or Photoshop? Looks very good. Are you planning on experimenting with the retractable second level floor as well?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Paint Shop Pro, as always.
I've thought about it, but I don't think it's possible without a few extra insights from Probert.
Namely, how far do the rollouts go? Bearing in mind that these walls are already pretty close to the outer hull. I don't think they can be big enough to cover the whole floor, more likely they just extend outwards enough to encompass an extra row of a cargo pods.

--------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed.
We 'know' that the hull must be at least the depth of a cargo pod in distance.
Frankly, I don't see the point of retractable decks.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the ST: V shuttle bay, we see two shuttle-size doors, presumably for the lifts. There's no reason that those elevators can't have doors on both sides, for a passthrough. The shuttlebay controll room might have windows over the cargo deck too.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here's a bit of trivia to tide you over while I ponder the question of the rollouts. (BTW, isn't someone on this board in contact with Probert? some insights from the horse's mouth would be useful.)

Anyway, this is something I just recently noticed about the reverse angle painting.

-
I did wonder how they moved those containers around without the help of the workbees.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

For those of you who like to spoil the illusion, this is what the reflection looks like at full opacity.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps