Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Romulan Stormbird

Author Topic: Romulan Stormbird
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a little while since I got a model done. I was commissioned to create a decal sheet for FASA's Romulan Stormbird to fit the AMT TOS Klingon D-7. Since I had the decal done, I printed an extra for myself and used the Klingon ship I used to measure the panels for the decal.

Here's my attempt! Comments welcome:

Romulan Stormbird model

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A green and/or a red/beige variant should be done too, for variety.
And it might look better to have the feather-ends angled, like pentagons or septagons.
The simplicity of the pattern looks a bit childish here, it worked better on the small BoP, where the pattern was much less exposed...

Perhaps the individual feathers could be serrated? Like a real feather would be?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think a black and gold "Trans-Am" version would look cool.

Okay, mabye not.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the newer way to go with blue neon hull glow and spinning nacelle covers....

Ok, you can shoot me now....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A and a "Darwinfish" on the back that reads "Vulcan".

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
A green and/or a red/beige variant should be done too, for variety.
And it might look better to have the feather-ends angled, like pentagons or septagons.
The simplicity of the pattern looks a bit childish here, it worked better on the small BoP, where the pattern was much less exposed...

Perhaps the individual feathers could be serrated? Like a real feather would be?

Other color schemes would be cool to see. The pattern was based on the FASA miniature from an advertizing poster. This wasn't for me, but was a commission for a client. He provided the specs and approved the design along the way and got what he wanted. I just printed two decal sheets, sent one to him and kept the other that you've seen here. I did start out a design that would better suit the movie version Klingon ship; very angular hard edges, but the client wanted the rounded feather look like the FASA original.

Here's the initial design idea I did for the angular feather pattern. It's based off the Stormbird pattern from the Romulan Ship Recognition Manual:

Stormbird Pattern - Test 1

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The leading edge and the center look good, but the trailing edge looks like it needs to be a little serrated I think.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That last one was very good! Great that it was based off of the Ship recognition manual.

I'm thinking it could be better to just have two color tones to switch between, instead of four.
From the "less is more" POV, I mean.

I'm looking forward to a colored prototype of that last mesh.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps