Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starbase 157: Subspace Radio Logs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starbase 157: Subspace Radio Logs
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet another BOBW related LCARS.
SB-157

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, but why would the Farragut get the message?
I'd probably change that to the Hood or the Melbourne (as they were out that ways).

Besides, wouldnt the computer have translated the message a bit better into "Oh Shit! We're fucked!"

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole point of military training is that you can keep calm and provide your superiors with relevant information in crisis situations. [Razz]

Besides, the progression of the attack (including reports of missing crew members) suggests that that transcript probably lasted several minutes.

Nice work, Kris!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or a minute seven seconds anyway, unless that is the reader's digest version....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nice, but why would the Farragut get the message?
I'd probably change that to the Hood or the Melbourne (as they were out that ways).

That isn't a list of people who recieved the message from the Lalo, it'a list of messages recieved by the Starbase. Think of it as an inbox, but only for official Starfleet communications.

The duration of the message is correct, I wanted to show just how swiftly the Lalo was overcome.
If it seams a little too quick then just bare in mind that I'm assuming that the Lalo looks like this. [Wink]

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They seemed to process a lot of information in such a short time though.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm wondering who would be making a vocal report... While the ship was flling about around the crew, wouldn't everyone be rather busy?

Also, concerning the "crew reported missing" thing, it probably wouldn't make much sense. How would they report people missing? It's not like they just didn't show up for duty... I'm guessing that an intruder alert would be registered first.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I suppose the communications officer would be the one making the distress call.
As for how fast they're processing the information, I envisage a situation were things are happening as the signal is going out. As for people disappearing I presume that crewmembers are witnessing others getting transported off the ship and immediately reporting this to the bridge.
Also if you read carefully there is a reference to intruders in engineering.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice, but the audio button wouldn't work hehehe [Wink]

Just one thing, there is something funky with your font, some of the letters are higher than others like the O's and C's.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

No, just the anti-aliasing seems a bit off, as the S, C, and O don't seem to at the tops while the others do.... They are all the same height....

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

No it's PSP8's text rendering, which is about as useful as a case of champagne at an alcoholics anonymous meeting.
I've gone back and retyped everything in PSP7 and exported the vector objects to '8, hopefully this has fixed it.

Starbase 157: Take-2

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

The optical illusion still seems to be there to me....

--------------------

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just me, but I'd imagine there'd be two messages from the Lalo. One would be the initial moderate priority sensor contact report (it's hard not to see a Borg Cube coming a ways away, them being big and obvious), with the Captain's intent to make first contact with the unknown, ending with a exact location and time hack. The next transmission would be the "sh!t hitting the fan" message.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
The optical illusion still seems to be there to me....
Well that's the best I can do I'm afraid.

quote:
This is just me, but I'd imagine there'd be two messages from the Lalo. One would be the initial moderate priority sensor contact report (it's hard not to see a Borg Cube coming a ways away, them being big and obvious), with the Captain's intent to make first contact with the unknown, ending with a exact location and time hack. The next transmission would be the "sh!t hitting the fan" message.
You'd think so but....

quote:

HANSON (MONITOR)
At nineteen hundred hours
yesterday, the USS Lalo
departed Zeta Alpha Two on a
freight run to Sentinel Minor
Four. At twenty-two hundred hours
and twelve minutes, a distress
signal was received at Starbase
one five seven. The Lalo reported
contact with an alien vessel...
(with emphasis)
... described as cube-shaped. The
distress signal ended abruptly.
She has not been heard from since.

I think one message is more dramatic and belivable when you consider that the Lalo (as I presume it to be) is a reletivly slow, poorly armed freighter which probably only has a standard sensor package. Also consider that the cube can cruise at Warp Factor 9.3 and easily maintain 9.6 for long distances.
Then remember the length of time between the Enterprise (a ship with above average sensor capabilities) detecting the cube, having it come into visual range and then making direct contact, was less than two minutes, by my rekoning.
To the poor old Lalo, which might not have even had active sensors running, the cube must have seamed to have come out of nowhere!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could have dropped out of one of it's transwarp conduits right on top of the Lalo?

Oh and the text looks fine to me, now.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps