Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » 100 Years of Flight

Author Topic: 100 Years of Flight
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this a while ago, but I figured today would be the best time to show this. Back in July, Boeing presented the Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio with the Bird of Prey. Everyone at the ceremony was presented with a coin to commemorate the event. Here's a scan of one side of the coin: Coin Scan

I liked the design, so later I did my own recreation of it in color: Color Logo - 100 Years

Comments?

B.J.

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little basic, but nice.

What is this aircraft below?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would interest me as well. Looks a little like the plane in the old movie "Firefox" with Clint Eastwood.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So those are the Wright's first and second designs, right?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What is this aircraft below?"

Boeing's Bird of Prey, a technology demonstrator.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/2003/q3/nr_030716m.html

Anyway, neat! Gotta wonder what the Wrights would have made of the aircraft...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone care to speculate on 2103 design? [Smile]
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it looks quite that far ahead, but that's roughly the theme of the issue of New Scientist that's on newsstands right now (at least here). For instance: The DARPA "morphing aircraft structures" program.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the January 2004 edition of the Smithsonian's Air & Space Magazine *does* look that far ahead, at least for civilian aircraft. See http://www.AirAndSpaceMagazine.com/ASM/Mag/Index/2004/DJ/100Y.html for the article and pick up the magazine itself for pictures. The cover shown on the web page is not the cover of the full magazine, but a fake cover at the beginning of the article. It basically mentions hypersonic transports, "older" span loaders (blended wing-body), and personal flyers.

B.J.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just gotta ask, about the X-36, why do they still have that ugly lance sticking out of the nose?
I thought with all this cellphone development, they'd be able to put the radio receiver internally?
Or is it for air penetration, like the bulbuous bow on a ship?

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

That "lance" on the nose of the X-36 is a pitot probe, which collects air data. Pretty much every test aircraft will have one of these so that you can get good air data without having to worry about the aircraft itself affecting the readings. Here's a picture of the F-22 with one: http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/f22/images/c12-27413-19.htm
The full production version will have an integrated air data system, now that they have figured out how to compensate for the aircraft's effects. The X-36 never needed to develop an integrated system since they were only testing the tailless aspect of the aircraft. Most current aircraft, like the F/A-18 or a 777, have L-shaped pitot probes sticking out near the nose.

B.J.

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I think is funny is the Boeing entry in the JSF competition,"The Whale". It was a total step down in design aesthetics.

What worries me about the current design climate is that the U.S. is starting down a bad path in design philosophy. We are trying to make a single design capable of doing everything. The British have used this approach for some time and it has proven to be ineffective. They make aircraft that can do many mission types. But, they don't do any of them extremely well. The Harrier is a case in point. It is a FANTASTIC design. However, it is best suited for close in ground support from the front lines. It has neither the range nor CAP abilities needed for a fighter. Just look at the Falklands war. The inability of the British jumpjet carriers to keep a sufficient number of fighters aloft led to the loss of, I believe, five ships.

I simply have misgivings about any "all-in-one" product.

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Although I have heard Boeing's JSF called everything from "Monica" to just plain ugly, I think only Northrop's Tacit Blue has been nicknamed "The Whale". (BTW, the Bird of Prey is hanging above Tacit Blue in the Air Force Museum.)

And since you reminded me, on December 5th, I attended a ceremony to deliver the last Harrier to the Spanish Navy. No more will be built. Of course, my reaction when I started working 6 years ago was "We still make these things?"

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tacit Blue is possibly a project to make any who see the plane wince in disgust.
Not stealthy per se' but by causing an unavoidable aversion to direct eye contact, it's nigh invisible.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps