Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Build-up Article of the 7-foot long Enterprise

Author Topic: Build-up Article of the 7-foot long Enterprise
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The builder of the 7-foot Enterprise seen in this forum recently and I have gotten together to produce a build-up of the construction and finishing of his giant model. Comments welcome!

Build-up of John's 7-foot Enterprise

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://members.fortunecity.com/msfm/scratchdemo2/ip-enterprise-jt14.jpg

Anyyone think of "The Apple" in this pic - if we actually saw Scotty "jetttison the nacelles"?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I would think that if Scotty had blown off the nacelles, the pylons would still be there.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was the point of jettisoning the nacelles in the first place!?!
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the matter/antimatter reactions taking place in the nacelles during part of the original series' run?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily, I don't think it was really pinned down as such.

I think the reason for jettisoning the nacelles was because the warp plasma could do damage if it wasn't used to generate the warp field. The reaction takes place in engineering, but the power is expended in the nacelles. Not a good real-world example, but it's like having a propane torch. The torch, when lit, is able to do its thing and it's not too dangerous under controlled conditions, but if you don't have it lit and the propane gas is able to still flow, you build up a potential for an explosion if suddenly lit. In Trek's case, you could dump the nacelles before an explosion could occur.

--------------------
Stephen L.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyway, that account of how the model was built was fantastic. Makes me really jealous about not being anywhere near as talented with modelmaking as this guy.

And that having been made in the early Eighties makes it even more remarkable IMHO.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

SoundEffect
Member # 926

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
And that having been made in the early Eighties makes it even more remarkable IMHO.

I agree with that! I know I'm capable of doing something on the order of John's Enterprise but I have neither the right tools nor the work space (or the cash) to do anything that large. I would love to have all the time in the world to just build big models all day long!

--------------------
Stephen L.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps