Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » USS Ariel (TAS:"The Eye of the Beholder") (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: USS Ariel (TAS:"The Eye of the Beholder")
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The idea of a 6-men Starfleet survey vessel kinda intrigued me, especially since fandom seems to have missed it.

So here it is, a very early WIP (but it took about a week to come up with a remotely interesting shape)

USS Ariel (NCC-321) - WIP side view
USS Ariel - 3D model

That 3d model is nothing more than a simple model helping me to visualise the ship, and very likely it will never be finished. I suck at 3D [Smile] But

I'll post it here anyway, to give a rough idea of the ship.

As to the design itself, it's very roughly based on the Winston Carter shuttle, with a max crew of about 10-12, and roughly 60m long.

Only slight problem is with the names. If they're named after Shakespeare characters (or Sol system moons), there's bound to be some conflict with possible Miranda-class ships...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Intresting. But what good is such a small survey ship? There's hardly any room for labs.

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My idea is that this ship is actually more like a "scientific transport". It is a homebase for scientists on short-term away missions.. I think a range of about 1 sector and a mission-time of a few months should be enough to keep scientists busy.

These survey vessels would be based on Starbases, research colonies, or perhaps even on (very large?) starships.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 3d model looks like the Conestoga.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking slightly Raven-esque.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting design.
The first thing I would do would be to have the central hull rounded instead of square, then perhaps add some transitory structures between the fore and aft sections, like blisters or something.
Maybe add a dorsal mounted deflector, FJ style, shape the nose section so it doesn't look like the front of a van, draw some landing gear and perhaps a ventral cargo bay door?

Damn, this is such an interesting concept. I'm so tempted to draw my own take on it.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry mate, couldn't resist.
 -

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, you have a very interesting design and an original. [Wink]

Reverend, great job on the enhancements. [Wink]

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 'cockpit' could be something like the Holodeck Ship's.

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that bugs me a bit is the mismatch in the curvatures of the three sections. The rear is completely rounded, the is rectangular with rounded corners, and the cockpit is very angular.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Rev - looks great but now it's even more reminiscent of the conestoga

Andrew

--------------------

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well given that Harry is roughly basing this on the Winston Carter yacht and considering the similarity between that design and the Conestoga, it is hardly surprising.

I agree with Masao though Harry, the mid hull and nose sections need to be more rounded.

[ January 07, 2004, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

-

I have made the shapes a bit more uniform (a very TAS-ish ellipsoid shape). I've also added landing 'skis'. I tried retractable legs like you did, Rev, but they take up a bit too much internal space, IMHO.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Oh, and since the Conestoga is a lot older and presumable a LOT bigger, there's no connection whatsoever.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps