Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Need German translation help (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Need German translation help
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my ongoing quest for non-American starship names, I came across the following, written right after 9/11 by an ensign on the USS Winston Churchill, about a German destroyer Lutjens. What I would like help with is a German translation of the phrase "We Stand By You," for the dedication plaque of a starship Lutjens.

Babelfish renders it as "wir stehen sie bereit," but that's Babelfish--need I say more? [Smile]

Also, any idea what or who Lutjens might be named for?

Thanks in advance,
Marian

quote:
"Being isolated, I don't think we appreciate the full scope of what is happening back home, but we are definitely feeling the effects [of 9/11]. About two hours ago, we were hailed by a German Navy destroyer, Lutjens, requesting permission to pass close by our port side. Strange, since we're in the middle of an empty ocean, but the captain acquiesced and we prepared to render them honors from our bridgewing. As they were making their approach, our conning officer used binoculars and announced that Lutjens was flying not the German, but the American flag. As she came alongside us, we saw the American flag flying half-mast and her entire crew topside standing at silent, rigid attention in their dress uniforms. They had made a sign that was displayed on her side that read, "We Stand By You." There was not a dry eye on the bridge as they stayed alongside us for a few minutes and saluted. It was the most powerful thing I have seen in my life. The German Navy did an incredible thing for this crew, and it has truly been the highest point in the days since the attacks. It's amazing to think that only half-century ago things were quite different."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wir stehen zu euch.

Admiral G�nther L�tjens (1889 - 1941) was commander of the Bismarck and Prinz Eugen and died when the Bismarck was sunk.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. I remember the days shortly after 9/11. For a few moments, it seemed like the whole world was united.

But let's go into that now.

The closest I can find on Google, and actually being used on German sites, is "Wir Stehen Bereit". I'm not sure how well it fits.

I'm also slightly afraid that such a sentence might have uncomfortable WW2 connotations.

And Admiral Lutjens, commander of the DKM Bismarck.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
I'm also slightly afraid that such a sentence might have uncomfortable WW2 connotations.

How does "we stand by you" have "uncomfortable WW2 connotations?"

Marian

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Wir stehen zu euch.

Maybe "zu eurer Seite" (by your side) would be closer to the originally intended meaning?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a note: if, as Spike says, the name is actually "L�tjens", you might want to spell it "Luetjens" (unless you want to include the umlaut).
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be that it being Liberation Day here caused a slight over-reaction [Smile] . WW2 is all over the place this week.

And you're right, it should be either L�tjens or Luetjens.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Harry said "Libation Day." That was funny in my head for awhile.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, that's april 30. B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In my ongoing quest for non-American starship names
this site may help. It's got most of the RN sections from the 1919 edition of Jane's on it. Mostly British in origin, of course but a good few are from the Dominions and colonies.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Originally posted by Wraith:
quote:
This site may help. It's got most of the RN sections from the 1919 edition of Jane's on it. Mostly British in origin, of course but a good few are from the Dominions and colonies. [/I]
Cool, thanks!

USS Amaryllis, USS Gentian, USS Isinglass...and that's just sloops. OTOH, I doubt the "USS Cowslip" would strike fear in Romulan hearts... [Smile] But this will be very useful.

It's easy to find ship names, and people and places to name ships after, if you're willing to take a few minutes with Google. My ship list includes the Vittorio, Courbet, and Pelayo, after 20th century battleships, and the Monoceros class USS Cheng Ho, after a 14th century Chinese admiral who circumnavigated Australia.

I wish the TV producers would take the time. I swear, one more Intrepid and I'm going to scream!

[Smile]
Marian

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one day soon i'll be finished with my three super-over-obsessive-compulsive-hyper compiled class, registry and ship name lists and strike fear into the hearts of the google searching public, as well as striking dents into my bandwidth.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spelled Cheng Ho differently, but it's the same guy.
 -

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MarianLH
Member # 1102

Cool! I love your site, by the way.

Earth names are easy, and in my version of the Star Trek universe, Centaurus is an Earth colony. The real stumper is thinking up Andorian, Tellarite, and Vulcan names. [Smile]

Marian

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't that "Earth Girls Are Easy"?

Anyway, I agree coming up with good alien names is tough. Andorian names aren't so hard, since there have been a few examples in TOS and Series 5; Just start with Shr and end with a consonant. Tellarites are a bit harder since all we have is Gav (and whatever they used in series 5). I haven't named any of my warships after Vulcans though.

PS: Thanks, Marian.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps