Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » theoretical "The Cage" era rank insignia

Author Topic: theoretical "The Cage" era rank insignia
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
everyone* knows that in "The Cage," there really didnt seem to much of a rank system.. Captain Pike wore one stripe, Lt. Cmdr. Number One wore one stripe, Lt. Tyler and Lt. Spock wore one stripe. the only variations were CPO Garrison with a hollow braided stripe, and Yeoman Colt with no stripe.

The only improvement made by the time of "Where No Man Has Gone Before" was that Captain Kirk had two stripes, all other officers only had one.

heres my possible explanation: http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/709/cageranks.gif

*"everyone" does not include many people...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I suppose it was quickly replaced because no one could tell what was what at a glance [Wink]
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they thought the same, so they introduced the double bar for the captain.

with the second bar the possibilities are greater to create a plausible rank system...

that is why I prefer to ignore the lack of the bar on Captain Pike...

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who says Captain Pike had to hold the same rank as Captain Kirk, though?

For all we know, Pike was a Lieutenant Commander in "The Cage", and the two pilot systems were quite identical. This interpretation would require no contradicting of dialogue.

It takes little effort to go the next step and claim that the pilot and TOS schemes were actually (almost) identical as well. The only real difference would be in the rank of Lieutenant Commander, which would be missing the customary TOS "broken" braid. Most of the characters in the pilots would be holding the rank of Lieutenant (senior grade) with the appropriate TOS marking of one "solid" braid. Pike, Mitchell and perhaps a few others would be Lieutenant Commanders despite their braid. And Kirk of course would be a full Commander in "Where No Man..".

With one final step, we can create a GUT of all three schemes: perhaps the "broken" braid in the pilots really was "broken", and had difficulty staying on the sleeves? [Wink]

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
strikes me as somewhat troublesome in a canon sense to try and assume that Pike could be an LCDR...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if he was in command of the ship, he'd still be referred to as Captain. The only thing I can think of that would preclude his being of a lower rank is the fact that was, what? a Fleet Captain in the episode where Spock was on trial?

How many years had passed between The Cage and that episode?

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either 11 or 13, I can't remember... in any case, it would be enough, especially if the last promotion was on behalf of his heroic rescue.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps