Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Pirate ship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Pirate ship
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A pirate ship, around 50 meters in length, with 'vertical' decks and two big cannons.

Probably built by some 'neutral' power (like the Orions) and used by various pirates and other galactic nuisances.

Anyone who can come up with a proper Starfleet nickname for this ship gets a turnip-flavoured cookie.

-

(BTW, those Chinese characters are supposed to mean 'Red Sun', and I blatantly stole them from http://www.china-redsun.com/ [Wink] )

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. You should make it a bit more flashy and scary if that's supposed to be a pirate ship. I'm thinking maybe some kind of spikes along the mid-aft edges, kinda like the Reaver ship in the Firefly pilot episode. (Or, if you haven't seen that, maybe like Masao's Spectre-class destroyer.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why are Orions labelling their ships with Chinese characters?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because the owners of the vessel aren't Orions?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I smudged it up a bit, added thrusters, and stretched the fusion engine a bit, but I'm a little apprehensive about adding Reaver-style spikes and sharky bits without knowing what they are there for.

-

I should have realigned it after stretching. Meh.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are for purely decorative purposes. Makes the ship look mean and fierce. No, they serve no practical purpose.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice ship, Harry. I like the hint of an underbite. Reminds me of a cartoon bulldog. I don't know if it looks particularly piratical, though. The sans-serif Chinese characters looks a bit bland. I'll see if I can make you something more fierce. Maybe some traditional pirate markings would help (skull and crossbones, hour glass, etc). I don't know about what emblems Chinese pirates use, unfortunately.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, I tried to rewrite "Red Sun" in a few fonts. The problem is that that final character doesn't seem to be used in Japanese, only Chinese. Here's as close as I could get: Red Sun. The first two characters are fine, but to get the original third one, combine the left part of the third character in the gif with the fourth character (which should be squeezed slightly horizontally. You could also you the fifth and sixth characters in the gif (rather than the second and third), which are used to right sun in Japanese. Of these fonts, I think the third down looks most fierce!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about some kind of Technical Manual cargopod connector? So it could make off with whole pods!
Paladin181
Member # 833

- posted      Profile for Paladin181     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the idea of going with nosensical names like NATO use to give Russian plans... Coke, Choker, Yanker, Fulcrum, etc. Name it something like Fuzz, Pop, or Tin Class
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blue Sun, surely?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pooper-scooper. [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone who can come up with a proper Starfleet nickname for this ship gets a turnip-flavoured cookie.
Turnip class.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also tried to rewrite "Red Sun" in a few chinese fonts.
Some Chinese fonts are contained in the Mac OSX standard package of the Japanese version, but it is not rich in variety like the alphabet or Japanese fonts.
These fonts should just be help for you.

Red Sun in chinese characters

--------------------
"There are no three warp-engined or single warp-engined ships in Starfleet!".
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
... but I'm a little apprehensive about adding Reaver-style spikes and sharky bits without knowing what they are there for.

They're there purely for the purpose of scaring the crap out of the victims. After all, isn't that why the pirates of old flew the old skull-and-crossbones flags?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps