Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Some of my starship designs...

Author Topic: Some of my starship designs...
Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

- posted      Profile for Father Robert Lyons, SST     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As noted in my "Hello" post, I have some starship designs I want to work on. They are PRE-TOS and somewhat 'alternate universe' in concept.

They disregard Enterprise, not because I dislike the show, but because I have a certain ethos for these ships.

At any rate, these are Earth ships (UES). These are the ones I would eventually like to get a program to do some graphics rendering on.

Masao has seen them before, over on the TREK BBS, but for those of you who haven't, here are the links (I assume I don't have the posts to put an image in my message)!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/fatherrob/Destroyer_class.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/fatherrob/2101.bmp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/fatherrob/67a.bmp

and

http://www.freewebs.com/fatherrob/1017d.gif

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... interesting. I kind of like the second one, but something about the nacelle struts bothers me. Maybe they're not long enough?

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that Earth ships probably shouldn't have NCC registries. I know you're discounting Enterprise, but NCC is Federation, not Earth registry.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The second one is cool: looks a bit (to me) like a TOS version of the EXcelsior study model.
Could be a good backstory in that somewhere.

What are the red boxlike structures in the third design for?
Cargo? I dig it as a deep-space explorer that would need a lot of cargo space for supplies of all kinds: no replicators back then. [Wink]

The first ship's nacelle pylons are really thick (wide) for the TOS era (though it's your own Trek universe, of course).
Mabye those are solar cells instead of flush vents?
Have you made side views for any of these yet?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This belongs in DAC, so off it goes. *whoosh*

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

- posted      Profile for Father Robert Lyons, SST     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apologies! I am sorry I put this in the wrong place.

Jason is indeed correct, this was based on the Study-Excelsior (RedAdmiral has a nice 3d version of it on his site) but retrofitted to pre-TOS style. The pylons seem short for two reasons...

1) They are shorter than you might expect, mainly because I believe in a ship's shillouette that presents a minimal target aspect to the enemy and

2) Because they are arranged in an X shape at the reactor module.

Rob+

Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

Concerning the registries...

In my universe, ships are under the jurisdiction of the Terran Astronautics Command (TAC). Some of these high registries are going to change (anything over 1299 will be out the window soon) because I am assigning numbers based on the generation of warp drive. So, the ship bearing the navigational code of 1017 is the seventeenth ship built using the tenth generation warp drive system developed by the Terran Federation.

I thought of changing my way of handling registries, but I did spend $40.00 on a custom UES Constellation NCC-1017 cap, so I figger I have to keep it that way :-)

Rob+

Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

I guess I should also mention that these ships are all to scale... thus, the pylons on the destroyer (the first pic) are designed for rugged performance, including limited upper atmosphere operations (I don't posit any of these ships landing under any circumstances). As a destroyer, the engines need to be very well connected, so that moderate to heavy damage will not result in a loss of a nacelle.

As for solar panel or flush vent, I hadn't decided. I haven't fully outlined my warp theory in this universe, but I am going to probably say neither.

Rob+

Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

Okay, now my lengthy post on the UES Titan...

The Titan as depicted is a Concordium class battleship. As such she is designed for offensive action in combat. The red boxes are akin to missle silos on a modern nuclear submarine. I think the siloes on the reactor module (aft) are going to be removed, however, because the reactor will take up the silo space. These ships are massive, and are always accompanied by a battle group.

Each starbase gets one battleship. Battleships do not use NCC designations.

Now, I design starships to be convertable in a multi-mission capacity. When refitted with probes, this vessel becomes a long-range colony or explorer ship (akin in mission profile to the Explorer ships on B5 and the starships of TOS). No class name for those yet, sorry to say.

As for the question of side views, I have tried and abysmially failed on every side view I have tried. I just can't seem to get them fixed up in such a manner that I am happy with them. They always look too flat or otherwise campy.

Rob+

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
.bmp is the worst file format ever.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, .pic is the worst file format ever. 8-bit max and just as big as bmp.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them,
Do you have other views?

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps