Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Brochure Design from Work (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Brochure Design from Work
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Wink]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm just glad I'm not the only one to whom that thought occured.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I'll do the backside Monday.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't filthy my thread with pedophilia humor.
It's way too easy. I prefer Kwame humor.

[Smile]

I hear you Wes. Noone here, save my boss, gives a crap what I do, no matter how good it comes out. I put together a program for some other event last week. It came out great, and the only thing the stupid cow who was in charge of it could comment on was how pissed she was that I changed her sloppy grammar. So let's go get drunk together. What was the nature of your bad day?

You're not far off about the questions for Kwame joke. The local NBC affiliate refuses to cover the event... but they would like an interview with Kwame afterwards.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finished postcard, front and back:
 -

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Don't filthy my thread with pedophilia humor.
It's way too easy. I prefer Kwame humor.

[Smile]

I hear you Wes. Noone here, save my boss, gives a crap what I do, no matter how good it comes out. I put together a program for some other event last week. It came out great, and the only thing the stupid cow who was in charge of it could comment on was how pissed she was that I changed her sloppy grammar. So let's go get drunk together. What was the nature of your bad day?

You're not far off about the questions for Kwame joke. The local NBC affiliate refuses to cover the event... but they would like an interview with Kwame afterwards.

Its much worse for me. Half my job is low-level content creation (make this brochure for me EXACTLY HOW I WANT IT) with little to no creative freedom. The other half lets me have some creative freedom, but my boss, who has no design background will comment on aspects of my designs that bug the living shit out of me, and MAKE ME CHANGE THEM.

A good example was the day I was talking about - we got into a huge debate over weather this logo I did should be all lowercase (it was a very minimalist design, and the all-lowercase was intentional). I cited more then a few examples of good logos where the text is all lowercase, and finally just pulled the �well the client is happy, that�s all that matters� card.

How can I be working for someone who knows less then me. It�s a question I ask myself every day. It all boils down to me looking for a new studio and forgetting this place. Unfortunately I�m lazy/not quite pissed enough to start hunting.

Next week I�m using 4 of my 10 days of paid leave (thank god he has his vacation policies right) and spending the week in Vegas. A well-earned rest I say, although the boss will pressure me into taking my laptop for �emergencies�.

I'm down for a Sour Apple Martini or five.

PS: Love the design, is this a two or three color print? The text looks dark blue but the people look B+W.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You only get 10 days of paid leave? A year? In a full time job? Christ...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I only get 2 weeks. Cause I'm a newbie. After two years, I'll get three weeks per annum.

The card is indeed two colors. The text is the dark blue color. The logo and the people are the dark blue as a base, with a little bit of the green plate showing through too, to give them a little more depth. I love multi channel files.

All I can say about the work situation is "Get your butt out of there." Seriously. You may not be fed up enough yet, but trust me when I say you soon will be. I spent three years working for a company whose marketing VP (only so because he decided he should be an executive) was a complete moron and spouted whatever design gibberish he managed to read on the internet like it was his own private Gospel. Every cool thing I did got shot down and bastardized to such an extent so as to be unrecognizable. It almost drained all creative desire out of me.

Getting to actually do cool things at this new job makes me so much happier, even when I have to deal with the occasional stupidity.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am no graphic designer at all, but I will give my advice anyway: Your boss(es)/clients will always want to make some change, so that they feel like they are in some way part of the project. So always make the logo too small. Their attention will be successfully diverted in a direction you were going to go anyway.

I have no idea what to do if no logo is involved.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"How can I be working for someone who knows less then me."

Isn't that how it usually works? That's what I've learned from "Dilbert", anyway.

Oh, and "than". And "I". And "?".

"You only get 10 days of paid leave? A year? In a full time job? Christ..."

I get one day. Although, that's just for the first year. After that I get two weeks. Three weeks if I stick around for five years.

Of course, I work for a public library*, which is going to have, presumably, lower benefits and crap than in a corporation. So 10 days sounds pretty bad. Even for here in the US.

*If anyone has been paying attention to my life (and that's pretty sad if you have been) and thinks it's strange that I talk about being in my first year at the library: I was part-time before. I've only been full-time for a couple months now.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Sol: Yes, there are little tricks to keep the client from messing with anything too important. Making intentional mistakes on highly visible elements is one of them.

I tend to accept more crap from my freelance clients than from internal clients at the day job. The freelance clients can always go somewhere else. The internal ones are supposed to be members of the team, plus they're stuck with me. You don't wait until the last minute to feed me mistake-riddled content, then ask for a great design, then tell me to change it to specifications you never told me you had. That's a good way to get a can opened up on you.

Take this card for example: I originally came up with the maroon color scheme (which shows up more pink on screen than it actually is), but the client didn't like it. He didn't tell me... he told my boss. Then I find out that there was a question about whether or not I had designed some folder they need to get reprinted and he makes the comment, "I know Alan didn't do it because it meets the Boys & Girls Clubs' graphic standards." My response was, "Those graphics standards were created because people like you are usually the ones doing the designing."

He irritates the hell out of me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let me get this straight: if you stay with your company for five years, you get 15 days of paid vacation a year?
And that's legal?
And you don't work in Japan?

Christ, and I thought we Europeans had it bad... [Wink]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

That's just vacation time. I also have sick days and personal days on top of that. 5 of each I think. Though I'm out of personal days for the year.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps