Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » ... LOOKING BACK NOT FORWARD

Author Topic: ... LOOKING BACK NOT FORWARD
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Got bored. Drew vintage rocketship. With a few modifications, I could also make an Altairian ship/shuttle out of this, for a possible (though improbable) Altair civil war article. As you may remember, I envision the Altairians (or at least one of the Altairians) use 50s-inspired vessels.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lobo
Member # 669

- posted      Profile for Lobo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Flash, Ahh Haaa..." *sing*

Cool!

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die..."

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And just for fun:

-

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever I see this ship, I'm amazed that the anatomic resemblance didn't prevent it's use. Was the time more innocent or more subversive? By the way, did anyone else get the new Checker reprint of the Alex Raymond strips?

Nice work as always, Harry.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why the "fuck" do people persist in drawing rocketship-phallus connections? Dude, that's the shape it HAS TO BE in order to fly. There's nothing sinister there... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because, obviously, the first thought that all the designers behind Flash Gordon had was "Now, is this a realistic shape for a rocket ship/laser pistol/Brian Blessed with wings"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flesh Gordon heheh

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Because, obviously, the first thought that all the designers behind Flash Gordon had was "Now, is this a realistic shape for a rocket ship/laser pistol/Brian Blessed with wings"?

The 1980 movie was just rehashing the really old Flash Gordon stuff from the 30s. Back then, there were no working examples of rockets. And people with wings have always looked better in comics.

Heh. I'm defending Flash Gordon's style. Someone shoot me.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I'm not slating the style. I'm just saying that they weren't thinking "realism" when designing, well, anything to do with it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(The Chinese had rockets at least 2000 years prior to the 1930s. Rockets were used as weapons 900 years prior to the 1930s. Robert Goddard was doing serious work on rocketry in 1917. In 1934 Werner Von Braun and the German "Spaceflight Society" launched a rocket to the altitude of 2.4 kilometers.)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice rendering there Harry.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget "...and the rockets' red glare."

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes, good old Congreve rockets. Most efficient horse scarer ever produced by the British Army.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And making the pregnant ones discard their fetuses.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps