Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » New Book Cover Project (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New Book Cover Project
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been hired by Arkham to do a book cover for the next Nelson Bond anthology, a sequel of sorts to the first one I did the cover for.

Thought I'd run the concept mockup that I'm about to send to my art director by you guys for C&C.

-

What I do for these is take my thumbnail sketch and shoot reference for the main elements. Then I do the finished drawings for them and scan them into Photoshop and arrange them within the space.

For this one, I used actual photos of planets and moons to get a better feel of the finished product.

The space ships were based on fish with some insect influences thrown in. I liked the idea of these big ships swimming through space.

Obviously all the details aren't worked out, nor all the shading, but this gives a pretty quick, close idea of the concept.

I also designed the title at the top. I think they usually have someone on staff that does it, but I hated what they did with the last one, so I'm going to insist on doing it myself this time.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate you.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That smallest ship on the left looks to me kinda out of place. I mean, it doesn't look like it's participating in the scene. It's like, "screw you guys, I'm not flying with you, so bite me."

On top of that, it looks very suprised, with its "mouth" wide open. [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Kazeite about that third ship.

Those big fins mounted on the balls look a bit non-functional. I suggest bulking up the attachment and the the base to look like a ball-and-socket joint. As they are now they look less like functional oar/fins and more like quill pens stuck into inkwells. Maybe change the dorsal quill pen to a sturdy shark-like fin.

Maybe throw a ring around one of the planets. The big one on the back cover could probably have a wide flat ring that helps establish the equitorial line and orientation better than the banding on the sphere itself.

That pin-stripped suit has a definite George Raft vibe to it. Might it be a bit discordant with the ship design?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also agree with the third ship in the distance - I couldn't put my finger on it but yeah it's like it's going "screw you guys, I'm going home".

Other than that... COOL!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah make the suit look more futuristic - like the material from the uniforms of the 29th century off the relativity.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your comments about the third ship are definitely on target. Looking at it with a fresh eye, I think I need to give it the same orientation as the other two.

The suit is retro on purpose. The stories in the book were written in the 40's. In the finished piece, the suit will actually be dark, with light, subtle pinstriping. It's also meant to be a tie-in to the first cover which feautured a faceless man in a suit standing in near-full backlighting in front of an open door.

The thoughts about the fins on the ships are definitely worth looking into, as well. I need to go in and add some texture anyway, so I'll play with the fins at the same time.

(By the way, that's me posing for the man in the suit. I stood in my kitchen with the digital camera on the counter and held a ginat salad bowl in front of me. I love my job.)

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which way are the ships flying, anyway? I mean, when I think about it, it seems like the round end goes first, and pointy bit is the tail. But, when I look at them, I always see them going the other way. Especially since you compared them to animals. The pointy bit looks like a nose, and there are those two eyes sticking up on either side of it.

[ September 17, 2004, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: TSN ]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

No, they're flying towards the planets. You're right though... they do look like eyes. I'll change that.

Here are the changes to the ships. I added texture to the fins and hull plating to the main body of the closest ship. Keep in mind, it won't be that distinct on the final, this is just so I can see where to draw.

-

And just because I found this on the server and I still love it. Me and Michonne. drooooollll...
 -

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You and who now?

(It isn't really a world other than our own, though, is it?)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, wonderful, so she played a blue-skinned alien with a mohawk - topknot, sorry, just looked again - watching the pod race. I'm sure Jennifer Lopez (or Angelina Jolie, or. . .) is feeling very nervous right about now.

http://www.worldfamouscomics.com/michonne/store/viewitemlfl.shtml?aurrasing-w1-lrg.jpg

And that shirt is not your colour. And it makes you look fat. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Maybe I'm just fat.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably not allowed to, but I'd drop the "than ours" from the title. It's a pointless addition, and looks like an afterthought to avoid copyright problems with the real "Other Worlds" or something.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I'm not allowed to change the title, but I might keep playing with the logo graphic while I'm working on the painting.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yeah it's not the best grammar - shouldn't it be "Worlds other than ours"? or "Worlds other than our own"?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps