Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Series ?: Episode 5x02, "Adrasteia, Part II"

Author Topic: Series ?: Episode 5x02, "Adrasteia, Part II"
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek: Series ?
Episode 5x02: Adrasteia, Part II

"First Officer's Log: We are currently in pursuit of a highly advanced alien vessel that has taken Captain Braxton prisoner. Our only clue as to the identity of Braxton's kidnappers is the fact that their vessel's temporal signature resembles that of the Plah D'Viz, an ancient and powerful alien artifact that we encountered several years ago..."

Ducane, sitting at Braxton's desk in his office, continued to pour over data. The door opened, and Kes stepped inside. "How's it going?"

Ducane sighed. "I've got some more info, but it's confusing me to no end."

"How so?"

"I had tracking data from the Federation sensor network uploaded to our computer. I've managed to put together the path of the alien vessel on it's way to Starbase 47. It was first detected when it crossed the border with the Dominion in the Gamma Quadrant."

"Don't you mean the Happy Fun Dominion?"

"I don't know about you, but I find it neither happy nor fun."

"Good point."

"Anyway, extrapolating the vessel's path backwards takes it exactly to where the Plah D'Viz used to be."

"Yeah, before we blew it sky high... Any possibility this is a Dominion ship we're dealing with?"

"I really doubt it. Energy signature's completely different."

"What if... What if these are the people that built the Plah D'Viz? What if they want revenge on Braxton for destroying their artifact?"

"Also highly doubtful. Remember Q's little bedtime story where he told us about the Plah D'Viz in the first place? He said they were all dead."

"Actually, he said that they all disappeared from the galaxy. Maybe they pulled a First One and just left?"

"Hmm... Possible. Good memory there."

"Hey, without godlike powers, I have to be useful somehow, don't I?"

With a wink, Kes turned and left the office. Seconds later, Yar walked in. "Got the newest tracking data on that vessel. It's altered course. It's headed towards the galactic core."

"The galactic core, hmm? Interesting..."

"Could it be the Cytherians? Or maybe the nutcases from the Star Trek V pocket universe escaped?"

Ducane punched a few buttons on the terminal. "Nope, no match. Keep me informed of any changes."

As Yar left, Ducane slumped in his chair as his eyes glazed over. He mumbled to himself, "Who are you?"

Within the alien vessel, Captain Braxton was being scanned. Still bound to the table, he attempted to wiggle free, but to no avail. "I just want whoever you are to know that I'm not having a good time!"

The female voice from before spoke once more. Do you think we are enjoying this any more than you?

"Well, duh. Of course you are. You're the bad guy. You do bad things and then laugh maniacally because you're having fun being bad. That's the way it works."

Good and bad are a matter of perspective. To us, you are the one that has committed the grievous transgression.

"Okay, I think it's time for you to drop the whole mysterious alien act. Who are you, and what is it that you think I've done?"

In response to Braxton's question, golden energy emerged from one of the walls. It came together, and took the form of a tall, skinny, glowing, humanoid woman. Satisfied?

"Not in the slightest. I'm fairly sure you still haven't answered either of my questions."

You are unfamiliar with us?

"I'm unfamiliar with a lot of things, yourself included, so let's get the exposition over and done with before this episode is over."

Very well. In your primitive tongue, we would be referred to as the Progeny. We hail from a distant galaxy where we have evolved into a noncorporeal form. We explore the galaxy as one with our vessels. This is why this vessel is so small to you, since we do not require things such as life support or even physical space to exist.

"Okay, that explains who you are. But I've never met you before. Why are you after me?"

Long ago, we explored this galaxy and encountered a race of beings nearly as technologically advanced as we are. These beings had mastered temporal technology, and had even discovered a means by which to eliminate paradoxes.

"Hold on... This is beginning to sound familiar..."

This was an affront to us. There must always be a price exacted by tampering with time, whether it be a paradox, anomaly, or any other side-effect. We waged war with these beings, and we were eventually victorious. However, they hid their most powerful creation from us, and try as we did, we could not find it. Eventually, we left your galaxy, content in the belief that if we could not find the device, no one else could either.

"I really don't like where this is going."

Then, two years ago, we detected a Level 100 temporal field being generated from this galaxy. We now knew exactly where the device was, and that it had been used. When we finally arrived, we found the device had been destroyed, so we immediately began looking for the one who would dare use such a device. You are the one. You used the Plah D'Viz. And for that, you must pay the ultimate price.

"Wonderful. Just what I need. Another bunch of psycho villains out to kill me."

Who said anything about killing you?

"Well, isn't that generally what is meant by 'the ultimate price?' Because if you were being literal, then you're not going to have much luck extracting it. I'm told (and told and told and told) that the Federation doesn't use money..."

You're a very strange individual.

"You're just now figuring that out? Some supervillains you are."

What has been done can be undone! We shall restore the paradox that you have eliminated, thus restoring the timeline you have erased!

"I can take people trying to kill me. I can take people beating me to a bloody pulp. But I am NOT GOING TO LET YOU MAKE ME INTO EVIL BRAXTON!"

Whoa there... Easy with the bold italic caps.

"I WILL NOT GO EASY WITH THE BOLD ITALIC CAPS!"

The Progeny woman extended her arm, and a yellow bolt of energy lept from it and struck Braxton. Braxton promptly lost consciousness, and the Progeny woman smirked. Fool.

Before she could leave, however, something started beeping. It was coming from Braxton. The alien looked checked him out, then fished what looked like a little action figure out of one of Braxton's pockets. Closer inspection revealed that the action figure looked just like Chakotay. What is this?

Remarkably, the action figure answered. "Greetings! I am the Chakotron. It's time to explain today's obscure episode title."

How odd.

"Don't you know it! Anyway, Adrasteia was a figure in Greek mythology that punished those who violated the natural order of things."

The alien eyed the little figure for several more seconds, then threw it in a corner. The little figure sighed. "At least I get more respect than the actual Chakotay..."

Meanwhile, the Relativity continued to give chase to the Progeny vessel, no matter how pathetically. Ducane, who was now sitting in the captain's chair, turned to Damar. "We need more power!"

Damar responded in his best (and by "best" I mean worst) Scottish accent. "I canna give ya anymore!"

"Stop that, Damar."

"Aw. But I really can't give you anymore. Why are we even bothering? They're getting further and further away from us without breaking a sweat."

Dax responded, "No, they're not."

"They're not?"

"No. They've stopped near the galactic core."

Ducane let out a little smile. "Then we've got a chance to get Braxton back..."

"We do? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we're no match for that ship."

"Okay, maybe we don't have a chance. But what kind of show would this be if we just gave up? Continue pursuit."

Will the Progeny succeed in recreating Braxton's paradox? Can the Relativity save Braxton? Will Chakotay or anything that remotely resembles Chakotay every get any respect? Get ready for "Adrasteia, Part III!" (Not that you actually need to do anything to get ready.)

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, I was falling asleep at work, and I needed something like this to avoid spending fifty cents on another machine coffee...

...nice thing that Chakotron. Will it sell on stminutiae.com's online store?

Mmm... hmmm... bah, I'll get myself that coffee.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy, Braxton's gonna get restupidified! Well, stupidified even more than he's been recently, anyway... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Oh boy, Braxton's gonna get restupidified! Well, stupidified even more than he's been recently, anyway... [Big Grin]

Uh... Perhaps I should clarify the situation.

Prior to two years ago, Captain Braxton was caught in a time loop in which he would eventually become (in chronological order) Old Captain Braxton, Young Psycho Braxton, and Old Psycho Braxton. Then the events in "Relativity" happen, and they got sent back in time, where they were eventually merged into Evil Braxton. Confusing? Heck yeah. I'm not even sure it makes sense to me.

However, this time around, Captain Braxton uses the Plah D'Viz to break the time loop and eliminate the paradox. Knowing of the time loop, but not bound by it, Braxton now does not become Evil Braxton.

However (again), the Progeny want to re-create the time loop. Should they succeed, the past two years would have gone differently. How differently? I'm not saying. Not because I'm mean, but because I'm not sure exactly myself.

So, Braxton does not necessarily become dumber if the Progeny succeed. Well, yeah, inevitably his only dialogue would be "VOYAGER GO BOOM!" But you get my drift.

Please get my drift. Somebody has to, because I'm not sure I've got my drift.

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand how this fits into the timeline at all. I need charts!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
I don't understand how this fits into the timeline at all. I need charts!

Sure! All I need are a few spare spatial dimensions. Got any laying around?

Seriously, I'll try to cook something up. It may not be the nicest-looking thing you've ever seen, but it should help.

--------------------

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just tell them to read the back episodes, and you concentrate on writing! [Wink]

Unless, of course, it is a diagram drawn by Braxton to fit into the plot...

Edit: All right! 47th post!

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Krenim:
However (again), the Progeny want to re-create the time loop. Should they succeed, the past two years would have gone differently. How differently? I'm not saying. Not because I'm mean, but because I'm not sure exactly myself.

So, Braxton does not necessarily become dumber if the Progeny succeed. Well, yeah, inevitably his only dialogue would be "VOYAGER GO BOOM!" But you get my drift.

Please get my drift. Somebody has to, because I'm not sure I've got my drift.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was just thinking that, in order to re-introduce the inevitability of Braxton becoming Evil Braxton, he would have to be re-stupidified in order to be unaware (or ignorant, or forgetful, or whatever) of the consequences of his ever-more-evil actions.

Does that make sense? I don't know. You seem to be making sense, at least sort of, though... [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps