Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starfleet Fighter craft (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starfleet Fighter craft
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No. There are more than 98 squadrons. What I'm saying is that 98 of the 200 Fighter Squadrons use T-19Es. All fighters in FS-81 use the T-19E.

I'm not sure how I'm explaining this concept wrong so you don't understand.

A Task Force is 10 starships. Galaxy-class, Excelsior-class, whatever. Larger ships are capable of carrying more than smaller ships. So some Task Forces may have a larger squadron detached to them.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I understand all that. Nevermind all the task force ships and such, which I understand; I'm trying to figure out if there are enough T-19Es to equip 98 squadrons. Here's my logic, based on your numbers:

1) There are 98 squadrons that use T-19Es.

2) There are 147 T-19Es *total* in inventory, including some that are not in active service, divided amongst these 98 squadrons.

3) Squadrons are not composed of uniform numbers of T-19Es.

So, IF there are 98 Squadrons that use T-19Es, there aren't enough fighters to ensure a minimum of two fighters per squadron! With these numbers, and with the hypothetical numbers of 16 or 20 fighters to a squadron, it seems that the majority of those 98 squadrons would have only one T-19E in them in order to make up for this.

If a "squadron" typically means more than one aircraft per unit, and you have 98 squadrons that use the T-19E, then you would need 196 fighters for a minimum number of two per squadron. You say you have 147 fighters, which isn't enough.

Unless Harry's right, and the majority of these 98 squadrons are mixed-craft.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with assigning a squadron to be based over several ships is that they would not be a team: squads need to train together anspend alot of time working out manuvers and their own combat styles.

So, unless you're intention is to keep all the ships within easy transporter range (defeating the purpose of having multiple ships) you really have several small semi-independant groups instead of a single fighting unit.

Mabye you should break your squads into units of six or so....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll let you guys in on a little secret.

I didn't think much about that little line of detail. Other things such as dimensions and technical aspects yes.

You're right, the amount of T-19Es vs the amount of squadrons they're used in don't match.

In the case of the USS Pioneer there are four fighters, a Blue Team and Gold Team with two fighters. Larger ships might have more, smaller ships less. Regardless they should be in equal numbers.

I like to design the art, and a little bit of backstory behind the art. But the minor details aren't really my speciality.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So!
The truth is revealed! [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
Member # 138

Yes, now you can put away your conspiracy theories.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm...according to the infallable ST:TM, the Perigrine has a crew of two and is a tiny 64 meters long.

No drug testing was required to write for that mag, obviously.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps