Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starfleet LC2-Type Tug (Circa 2385)

Author Topic: Starfleet LC2-Type Tug (Circa 2385)
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been dead slow at work so I was doodling and came up with this.

Enjoy!

-

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, let's see it, man.

Never mind. It showed up after I posted the first time.

Uh, a starbase numbered in the 1300s? And "The" was never put in front of "United Federation Of Planets" on any hull.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well they do now.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks really small to tug any starship: mabye it pulls a cargo train of some sort?

What's the wire attached to the blur glowy sphere?

I like it-really- but I'd probably scale it up about 50% by making the lettering, hatchway and window smaller.
I just think it would look much nicer to see a tug as something (considerably) larger than a Runabout.

[ September 24, 2004, 07:39 PM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wes
Member # 212

Really? I know there was a tug on DS9 at one point, but have no clue what it looked like. I thought it was pretty small.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not real clear how large that tug is though: it's an extremely forced perspective of it towing an excelsior.
Most sources (for some reason) place it as being Starfleet (despite it being among klingon ships with a green hull and red nacelle glow) and at about 50-80 meters long.

It's a horrible kitbash of parts though- mostly a circut board clamp and (red glowing) romulan nacelles.
It's got no windows to scale off of so ...who knows?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, "The UFP" reminds me of the jets in Hot Shots that said "The Navy" on them instead of simply "Navy".

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This baby looks more like an updated version of those two-crew "harbor tugs" that premiered in ST3:TSfS... We never learned if those really were used for towing, or if they simply emptied the bilge tanks of starships or something. But as long as the exact properties of tractor beams remain magical, it's possible that small craft like these could be used for towing large starships (although preferably only at very low speeds).

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye it's a tug ued for positioning starships into those tight drydocks at Utopia Planetia.
It certainly looks plausable in that respect.

I just cant see it towing anything as large as a starship at warp.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great artwork. I agree with Timo that it's much like an updated version of the spacedock shuttle and that it should serve a similar purpose (whatever this could be). towing at warp would require the small ship to extend its warp field around the big one. I doubt this would be possible or practical.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Wes
Member # 212

Thats what I based it off of. Those yellow squarish looking tugs flying around in the TMP-era.

Thanks for your comments!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the artwork!

Umm, would you let me use this design in the starship guide I'm working on? There aren't all that many canonical designs for such small "working boats", so I'll have to flesh out the guide with some fan stuff in this respect anyway. And this one would be a real beauty.

Timo Saloniemi

Wes
Member # 212

Go for it, just mention me, somewhere.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps