Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Starfleet Ground Support Equipment - Crane

Author Topic: Starfleet Ground Support Equipment - Crane
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did this drawing for another forum, but I thought I'd show it here, too. It's a crane used by the Starfleet Corps of Engineers for just about anything you'd need a crane for. Loading/unloading cargo, building new colonies and bases on unforgiving planets, etc. The grapple on the end of the boom is similar to the technology in the NX-01's grapple. And yes, it has wheels. (Heresy!) I figure that in these kinds of applications where you need to pick up and place things precisely, you don't want to rely on a power system to keep yourself in the air, not to mention having to deal with the wind or whatever else may affect you.
 -

B.J.

David Sands
Member # 132

- posted      Profile for David Sands     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you could have the hoverwheels from Back to the Future?

One thing that you might want to think about is whether it should be wider. I remember an email that was going around years ago tracing the lineage of our roads' width to that of two horses' behinds. It's entirely possible that they would have widened vehicles in the future. Especially for cranes that rely on a wheelbase so much. It looks a tad narrow to me. Just the $0.02 I have to offer.

--------------------
"Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Tao to survivial or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed."

"...attaining one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the pinnacle of excellence. Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence."

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War, 6th century B.C.E.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the width was the one nit someone else had, too. The width right now is entirely based on the circular carousel for the crane. I may update it sometime to see if it looks any better widened. However, the crane's operations do not rely on the width between the wheels because of the stabilizing outriggers.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'd think it's be a hovercar of some sort and that the "crane" would be alarge tractor-beam emitter.
Mabye the vehicle attaches a few anti-graviton devices (as seen on TNG) and just controls the lifted material remotely.
No wide body or giant wheels required. [Wink]

Think of a largeish, flat-bottomed shuttle with a turretted beam emitter and a flatbed in the back for transporting raw mateials or a small industrial replicator for spot repairs.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

The competition I designed this for said "come up with a wheeled Starfleet vehicle", so that was an obvious design constraint. I certainly didn't want to do a dune buggy!

As for the grapple, there's no reason why there can't be different things mounted on the end of that boom for different reasons, including a small tractor beam emitter.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool. I was thinking for a second that the Workbee could be the cab for the crane part. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
It's cool. I was thinking for a second that the Workbee could be the cab for the crane part. [Smile]

Mark

Now a cute question? What rating in Starfleet FIXES them? AS's? CM's? EM's?

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AS's mostly deal with Aviation GSE (Ground Support Equipment)so mostly Construction Mechanics (CMs)

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps