Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS Era Civilian Spacecraft (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS Era Civilian Spacecraft
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...classic. [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Blegh. The original Enterprise was clean and un-cluttered, with all the important bits carefully placed on the inside of the hull. No need to hang your expensive equipment outside in cold space.

Like your navigational deflector?
Well, that (or a parabolic sensor dish, it's "other" intended function) would naturally *have* to be on the outside in order to be effective. I think the argument that modern Trek ships have gone a bit overboard with greeblies for the sake of greeblies is not without validity.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont agree-
only during Voyager's run did starships start to really get "greeble happy".
Sternbach's silly "sensor pallates", secondary deflectors and auxilary craft on the hulls of Voyager and Equinox clutter them up a [i]lot.[i]
Aside from lifeboats, the Sabre and Akira are (relativly) practical in that regard.

No hope for the Steamrunner or Soverign though: the dark grey palels with...er...stuff in them is overkill.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Boh:
A little bit of work done, and started a top view
http://www.thehappypill.ca/civilianship/civilianship-a-003.jpg

Trelane's turntable?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

Well, I meant 'classic' as in old and well-known. Not necessarily good.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Old and well-known? And it's the Jupiter II, even. We're 0 for 2 here.

(Though, disclaimer: I haven't looked at the ship in question. Does it look like the movie version, or the ((actually old)) TV show's flying disk?)

Some references. For the original, anyway.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, Boh. Please keep at it, I want to see the finished version.

Marian

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too greebled-up to the point of fugliness? Try the Starfleet Peregrine fighter and the Maquis Raider. I'd love to have the "designers" point out what all the features on their hulls are. LOL

Can't be done.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be fair, those were supposed to look like they'd been cobbled together and heavily modified by ragtag rebels...

And yeah, there's nothing particularly old *or* well-known about the Lost In Space movie.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started Nacelles, more work on the top
http://www.thehappypill.ca/civilianship/civilianship-a-005.jpg
http://www.thehappypill.ca/civilianship/civilianship-a-006.jpg

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
No need to hang your expensive equipment outside in cold space.

Like your navigational deflector?
Well, that (or a parabolic sensor dish, it's "other" intended function) would naturally *have* to be on the outside in order to be effective.
Oh yes. Scientifically, having the navigational deflector/parabolic sensor dish on the inside is just ludicrous! You try suggesting that to New American Scientist, you're just going to get laughed out the door. Laughed until you're dead.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More work on the Nacelles:
 -

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting front end to the nacelle. Or were you planning to add the round orange glowy thing later? If not, would there still be a bussard collector?

Marian

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Since I'm trying to go somewhat non-starfleet with the design, I'm thinking of going somewhere different there too. From the front, I think the forward part will look like an acctual intake.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Scaled the nacelles up a bit+new top view:
http://www.thehappypill.ca/civilianship/civilianship-a-008.jpg
http://www.thehappypill.ca/civilianship/civilianship-a-009.jpg

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. It's definitely different from Starfleet shapes, yet still very 23rd century. Nice work.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps