Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Tinkering with TOS (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tinkering with TOS
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't remember if someone posted this link in another thread before - but I want to post it (again). I rarely go to TrekBBS but I was there after looking at trektoday.com and saw this thread: http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3900511&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

Some of these are not too shabby! The Kirk on the brige one - the first pic is quite effective.

I also quite like The Guardian of Forever, Starbase 12 and Mohave City oh and Reno Floyd's version of the shuttle returning to Enterprise. Anyone else got any comments?

Some of them are crappy and are quite obviously 'touched up'/'mucked around with'. I wouldn't mind having ago at doing something like this myself.

The better ones are the more subtle changes... lighting on the bridge, replacing the sky in pics with more realistic clouds etc. Fiddling with the brightness/contrast etc.

Anyone else done something similar?

The most effective on there (apart from Kirk on the Bridge) is the Guardian of Forever, I think. Gives the 'set' a little more scope!

The closest I've done is this 'poster' type pic:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/44/halkaii.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TrekBBS has kind of a bad rap over here, but by god, they have some tslented artists over there. Vektor, the mod of the Art Forum is especially talented, especially his Constitution rendering..
 -

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I don't know about the suacer section, but the nacelle and engineering sections look like you could reach out and touch them!

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] Holy cow that's a nice ship. The TrekBBS pictures aren't bad either, most of them.

Marian

Makotokat
Member # 1041

- posted      Profile for Makotokat         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats very nice....(following link)
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, but it's more a fun exercise than anything actually practical. There's a world of difference between altering a frame and altering moving shots.

True, I doubt I'm the only one who is happy that he can now watch the Empire Strikes Back without screaming "WHY ARE THERE NO WINDOWS IN CLOUD CITY", but I'm not sure there's a market for this sort of thing. Some of the shots look like changes for changes sake, and as we saw (an by we, I mean me) with the Red Dward Remastered series, often those sorts of things just end up annoying the fans.

Not that I wouldn't like sexy new Constitution shots, but the episodes would then stop being TOS and start being an exercise in "spot the difference".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well I liked this little things that I didn't actually notice - like I mentioned in my first post - the sky in the scene with Guardian of Forever just made the planet look more REAL - that's a problem with a lot of the planet scenes in TOS and TNG season 1. I think if they did it with things like replacing the Enterprise - it would have to look pretty much IDENTICAL to the TOS version - and match the 'feel' of the era's effects - and same film grain etc - not just cgi spliced in.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I think if they did it with things like replacing the Enterprise - it would have to look pretty much IDENTICAL to the TOS version - and match the 'feel' of the era's effects - and same film grain etc - not just cgi spliced in.

Which would pretty much be pointless, wouldn't it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks more real than the real model used in the show.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:
I think if they did it with things like replacing the Enterprise - it would have to look pretty much IDENTICAL to the TOS version - and match the 'feel' of the era's effects - and same film grain etc - not just cgi spliced in.

You don't get what I'm saying. Basically - the effects of the ship would have to tie in seemlessly with the show - still have BETTER effects but no effects that are "blatant cgi" - and this would require more diligence and talent on behalf of the effects team.

I mean you can't have the old film and then it cut to a digital-quality obviously-cgi-looking ship maneuvering through an asteroid field better than the Defiant!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The link on the picture doesn't work. Where can one see more of this person's artwork?

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
quote:

You don't get what I'm saying. Basically - the effects of the ship would have to tie in seemlessly with the show - still have BETTER effects but no effects that are "blatant cgi" - and this would require more diligence and talent on behalf of the effects team.
No, I get that, I'm just saying it's pointless. Yes, redoing "The Doomsday Machine" would be nice, but 90% of the shows involved the Enterprise orbiting a planet. Having the Enterprise instead orbit a planet WITH CLOUDS just strikes me as being completely pointless.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they could at least give us more than the two stock shots of the Enterprise Orbiting the planet....

Personally, I'd prefer updated TNG effects: the update would not be so glaring that way and many of the scaling errors coud be corrected.

I want to see small KBOPS, huge Warbirds and VorChas replacing the KBOPS in The Defector.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And this is what has driven George Lucas insane, boys and girls.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was that last Indiana Jones movie.

...or the countless yes-men that tell him he's God.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps