Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Altairan Attack ship

Author Topic: Altairan Attack ship
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the Altairan GEN 3 attack ship:

Top and side:

Front:

Back:

Colors:
Blue: Wide beam phasers.
Green: Torpedo launchers (standard torpedos).
Red: Hyper Impulse engines and trust vectoring system.

Size:
Length: 500m
Width: 390m
Heigth: 190m
Decks: 22

With Q-wingstm closed:
Width: 440m
Heigth: 70m

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited September 16, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like the basic design elements of the Alatiran ships... and the wide-beam phasers, well, they're a great idea.

Great job!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not bad. Give the ships a smooth hull and few windows, choose a hull and a plasma color harmonizing with each other. The wing structure reminds me of the Talarian ship (I hope this is the correct "T"-race).

------------------
*Obscure humorous pretentious Gaelic-Latin signature*
Ex Asterige Scientia

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know that until I saw those T-race ships

It was my first intention to use a smooth surface. In this case there is no problem, but the courier looked too much like Queen Amidala's ship. That's why I chose the layered approach for the courier, which also optimizes the use of internal space.

The colors were explained in my first Altairan ship post: The ships are darkish blue/grey with a Q-wingtm plasma that is a slightly lighter blue.
About the same as the two colors used for the replies here at Flare . The wings have only got a soft glow when the ships are moving at sublight speed, but they glow brighter when the ships are at Quantum Warp. The Hyper Impulse engines have no color.

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited September 02, 1999).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

BTW: You should see both Altairan ships make a full wide beam 'shot' straight forward

Before I make a critical mistake in my third ship: I'm thinking of giving the 23km long mothership the same type of forward phaser like this ship. What do you think is the best choice?:

1: Give this phaser planet destoying capability.
2: Give this phaser 1/3 planet destoying capability, and use all 3 motherships to destroy a planet.
3: Give this phaser a much lower (gram?) energy.
4: Don't put a super phaser strip there because it will have a total length of about 40km, and that is way to big.

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with 3, but I have no numerical values to add.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is one expert for planet destruction, it's Mike Wong of http://www.stardestroyer.net. I would never have expected that once I would promote his site

There is one thing I like about the Death Star super-laser (or whatever it actually is), that the beam comes from more than one source. The Altairian weapon should not be a kind of phaser strip, but a wide tube which combines hundreds of previously separate beams. Their angle should be changed only moderately unlike the sharp fold in the Death Star's destruction beam.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Thanks for the help, but now that I know how much energy is needed to destroy a planet, I think I'll go for #3.

------------------
Altair's Sci-Fi Homepage

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Someone pointed out to me that the Attack ships are somewhat 'over-gunned', so I made a few corrections:

Version 1.1 of the Generation 3 Attack ship has shorter wingtip phasers, about 2/3 of the length. The main forward strip is shortened to in between the torpedo tubes and the trust-vectoring system.

I don't have the original pre-edited pictures, and I'm not going to scan the drawings again. You'll have to go by this description only. I'm very busy with school stuff, and I'm drawing the Mothership, Generation 2 Attack ship and the Q-wingtm 'torpedo'/fighter

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited September 07, 1999).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps