Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Adams class surveyor

Author Topic: Adams class surveyor
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/Adams.jpg

The Adams class was originally a 2nd generation survey vessel.

Ships of the registry range of 600-699

length 120.4 meters
Deck Count: 5 (four 2.08 meter decks, and one 3.2 meter bridge)
M/ARA reactor-driven
Crew compliment: 37
Cruise speed: Warp 4
Max. Speed: Warp 5.8
Weapons: 3 phaser banks

After its initial construction run of 12 ships, developers were already thinking of ways to widen the functional parameters of this ship. One suggestion which led to the first refit of the class was to separate the reactor housing/EPS main channels into the primary hull and retask articulated grippers into a pylon form. This would allow for a secondary cargo or automated multimission hull to be attached via this gripper system.

Ships built from the registry range 612-645 were of this redesign.

After first missions told of the demise of many Adams class ships in tough situations (due as much to banditry and aggressive species actions as to cosmic anomalies), SF Command decided to bolster the shielding of the class by upgrading to dedicated upper and lower shield generators, and upgrading the automated tactical systems to a man-rated tactical system. This was the most intensive redesign of the class, and again, only later ships in the class received these upgrades.

Ships built from the registry range of 646-699 were of this redesign.

In 2240, the entire surviving line of ships (44 altogether) received powerplant upgrades and comm/nav upgrades to make them more compatible with the rest of the fleet.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice! I've always wondered what a TOS-era Grissom-type ship would look like...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like it. I think. I mean, I do, but I'm not totally sold on, like, the forward profile. I guess? But still, a thumbs up.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You never did add the phaser turrets to the front view, did you? (I saw this over on SFM.) I'm on the fence about the overall configuration, but I do like the blocky nacelles. They somehow seem to fit well.

B.J.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking the same thing. I dig the nacelles alot, but the overall shape of the ship makes her look Romulan. I'm just not a fan of the undercarriage reaching all the way underneath like that. Awesome rendering though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very happy with your response to her. I am almost always hesitant about releasing a ship, but you guys always seem to make it worth it. [Smile]

About your comments - I have a reason for why I've designed her the way I did. In my design, this is the original configuration. The Grissom of the future is a refit (whose nacelle pylons are articulated grippers which hold mission-specific pods, one of which we saw in ST III. This, in my mind. solves the problem of "how do you get down to the secondary hull?") My answer to that is, of course, it's not a secondary hull, it's a sensor pod (or a deuterium tank, other machinery or commodities).

And, I haven't added the phaser turrets to the front view yet. Silly me. but you're not supposed to pay THAT much attention.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This would have been a better Oberth class in the first place.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed.
Really, I've seen fome fugly TOS renditions of the Oberth nad hated them all, but this is exceptional.

Really, with minor tweaks, it could become a TNG ship and look just as good.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Irishman
Member # 1188

Jason and Bernd, wow such praise. I'm struck dumb.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps