Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Portsmith class Cruiser

Author Topic: Portsmith class Cruiser
Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/portsmithside.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/portsmithdorsal.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/portsmithbowstern.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Irishman/portsmithbottom.jpg

I've given this ship a low registry and hybrid design which makes me think second gen UFP, but I wanted to get your opinions.

I have been sitting on this, but haven't gotten around to finishing any of my early UFP ships, and I didn't want to release them out of order. Oh well.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This ship puts me in mind of a cross between the old Mann class and one of the Excelsior study models... Very nice execution. I take it the blockish bits in the center are the nacelles? If so, what purpose do the nacelle-ish things hold?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. Let me guess, Andorian design influences?

B.J.

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B.J. Yes! You guessed right.

Topher, the innermost engines glowing blue at the rear are impulse engines, honking big, borrowed from Andorians. The warp nacelles are the outermost ones on the stubby pylons.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by B.J.:
Very nice. Let me guess, Andorian design influences?

B.J.

HA! My thoought immeadeately! I think the violet engine glow gives it away.

Very cool and a great execution, Irishman!
You should try a version with the nacelles out on bent pylons like the Andorian cruiser- Mabye add a pair of NX-style stuttlebay indentions in the saucer.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andorian. That was my very first impression too. Great work!

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting to see the influence of the Marshall (not Mann) class from the old Spaceflight Chronology and the Kumari in play here. It looks a tad too "rocket-shippy" to me, but overall I think it's intriguing.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Irishman
Member # 1188

Kumari, definitely, through Tellarite incarnations.

I just couldn't believe that the ship design philosophy we see later in the E-nil sprang fully-formed from the loins of Starfleet. Linearity in that sense really runs counter to my creative sense. So, when I start to design these ships, I don't take for granted that SF will have figured out precise hull geometries, or nacelle placement, or orientation, etc.

Like our world, I imagine it will be a stop and start process with developmental dead-ends and dropped balls among the standouts.

I'm guessing that, for some ships, SF looked at designs of its major shipbuilders - like the Tellarites and Andorians - and saw big honking engines bunched up together at the back. And someone ran some computer simulations in rapid prototyping that suggested something interesting could come from that arrangement, especially if your vessel orientation was linear...

so on and so on.... [Smile]

--------------------

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So is this (and the other ships you posted recently) the final version, or is there more work to do?

B.J.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps