Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Fighter Designs...

Author Topic: Fighter Designs...
Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
The Piranha Class Soliton Fighter is a small (8m long) one pilot craft. Meant for school/pack deployment, but also serves individually as a scout craft.

-
The Phantom Class is a heavy assault fighter and measures 50 meters long- also has a soliton drive. Crew can range from 1-4, but there is room for 20 passengers/evacuees

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this for Trek? It looks like something fit for either Babylon 5 or Battlestar Galactica.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shakaar
Member # 1782

- posted      Profile for Shakaar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in RP we used them, but alongside more orgainic looking classes like the Wells. The soliton drive also led me into stepping away with many of the standard design features of a normal warp ship.
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them, but not for Trek.

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool work! I like Phantom more than Pirhana because those squarish brackets look out of place, I think. Okay for Trek, but probably not for Starfleet, which is pretty conservative. I wonder, though, about a soliton drive. Doesn't that require the ship to travel along a predetermined path (the wave)? Not so practical for a fighter.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shakaar
Member # 1782

They still have thrusters and impulse for sublight, and the soliton drive can be used on fractional power for sublight as well. There is no warp drive though- but with either warp or soliton propulsion, as Tom Paris once said; "Faster than light, no left or right."
Kobi
Member # 1360

- posted      Profile for Kobi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great art, but I think that the soliton wave is not suited for military purposes: You can only go from point A to B and if you are stuck at C you need some sort of carrier to pick you up.

--------------------
Visit Andorian's office, with new section all about Kzinti!

Shakaar
Member # 1782

I feel the opposite is true, and that it is more suited for military purposes. With Warp you plot a point A to B course as well. Under impulse (which you'd be fighting at anyway) it would be equally maneuverable, if not more maneuverable within an atmosphere especially, because it doesn�t have the bulky nacelles.

http://www.craigdannenberg.com/bajor/swordfish.html was the testbed for the soliton wave drive, which I posted in another thread. The ship generates its own wave, so it would not be stranded.

LaForge: �Isn�t this exciting! We are going to witness a moment in history.�
Data: �Every nanosecond in this continuum is a moment in history, once it has elapsed.�
LaForge: �No, no, no�. I�m mean� We�re going to see something that people are going to talk about for years. Think about it, no more bulky warp engines- or nacelles, a ship just generates a soliton wave and then rides it though space like a surf board.�

So thought the test of the technology was a point to point, this does show that once the bugs were worked out, it could be used by ships without the need for stations to shoot them places.

Shakaar
Member # 1782

-
Here's one of my very first fighters, or ship of any kind really that I rendered- please forgive the simple design and lack of texture. I would probably only recommend such a design to be used as a scout... I just see it having a warp core breach if it got into a fight *L*

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps