Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » How do you make your own PADD?

Author Topic: How do you make your own PADD?
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured that I wanted to make my own now since Insurretion used a slide viewer... I now just need to figure out how to make it and where to get the slide viewer. Does anyone know what that item is?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm making mine out of vacu-formed plastic, with a hi-res LCD backed by LightSheet... But I'm making one modelled after the big 'un from DS9. I didnt like the Insurrection ones. And I never knew anything about a slide viewer. That seems depressingly lo-tech...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So wait. Do you have your own vacuum forming table or somesuch?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I make Star Wars armour. Of course I do. [Smile] It's in storage right now, along with most of my other worldly possessions, but...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the inevitable Storm-Trooper armor. No, but that's really cool. I had no idea. Or I didn't remember. Anyway, cool.

I'm building my first shop-vac table (based on several of this guy's ideas, but 2'X2' and using two electric griddles instead of the Sunbeam grill) and I'd love to pick your brain for tips.

For your PADD, did you pull clear acrylic and then paint everything but the screen? I suppose if one felt like getting really nerdy about it, one could probably stick a Palm (or an iPod!) in there.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone made a tricorder with an old Arari Lynx in it- you could play the game and everything (no idea if or how you'd swap cartridges).
I saw it years ago at a Con - back when SoFla still had such things.

There have been many resin kits of the tricorder and really, it's easiest to convert the old PLaymates toy into a perfect prop.

But I digress- try Gogling for tupperware. I bet there are several tupperware lids that could be sandwitched together to make a great Padd with no Vaccuforming pain-assery involved.
Clear plastic too.

hmmm...check the prop builders forums: there is a perfect Cardassian doorbell/lock prop that shows up in Ebay in resin now and then- I'm sure someone had made a Padd.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps