Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Tie Defender (inverted wings) Project (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tie Defender (inverted wings) Project
Fulgrim
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Fulgrim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a hatch on top of the sphereical body.

Update:

-
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4541/tdwip011vz2.jpg

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good. I always wondered how access to the top hatch was managed with that wing in the way.

I've always preferred the TIE Avenger and TIE Phantom over the Defender, but it's a nice design, and I tinkered with something like this (with the inverted wings) some years ago. It does look better, IMO, than the original config.

Unrelated observation: You have taken your screen-name from the D�mon Primarch of the Emperor's Children... I must destroy you now.

--Jonah (aka Peregrinus, Lord Inquisitor of the Ordo Malleus of the Emperor's Holy Inquisition, Scion of Mount Athos, Master and Commander of the Grey Knights, etc. [Smile] )

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Fulgrim
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Fulgrim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually own www.fulgrim.com so its a name I tend to use for my alias too, naturally!

Close-up on the reworked launchers:

-
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1609/tdwip012nf6.jpg

-
http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/1949/tdwip013pe0.jpg

[ September 20, 2006, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: Fulgrim ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(Although using radiators in a vacuum isn't the smartest engineering choice either.)
Perhaps I'm missing something, but how else would you do it? Waste heat is a big problem for spacecraft and there's no other way to move heat around in vacuum.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You'd think they could channel it towards propulsion- the TIE is supposed to thrust on propellant, so maybe some solid fuel sourse could be heated by the excess?

An intresting variant Fulgrim (welcome aboard), but the other version allows for far greater "visual scanning" by the pilot.
Also, i'm pretty sure these are supposed to have the proton torpedo launchers on the wings (between the two solar veins).

Alfred Wong (a master modelmaker) made this cool Phantom TIE and Jason Daily made this awesome CHiss Clawcraft.

I dig the Chiss ship a lot- gives the pilot a good field of view and looks so damn cool!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, on the Defender the launchers are in the chin hardpoint. And they are adaptable to any warhead, not just proton torps, since the ship was created for "Star Wars: Tie Fighter".
Msybe you're thinking about that fanboyish "Interceptor"-schematic floating around in the early 90's, which gave the TIE/In ten lasers. Cute, but it had the drawback of not being supported by either the movies, the books or the games.

I disagree with the FOV-thing, TIE pilots don't exactly sit right up to the cockpit window, and this design isn't much more visually encumbered than a standard Interceptor.
If you regard this Defender's wingtips as encumbering, you must hate flying X-Wings, what with that long-ass nose and pointy barbecue forks everywhere.
Besides, I fly with my instruments. (IFLYNAVY!)

If you're wondering why I'm defending this design so much (and in case you missed it), I'm the one who asked Fulgrim to build this thing. I've been kicking it around in my head since 1995.

The target silhouette of the original TIE/D is almost as big as an imperial Gunboat, and it looks like a prissy dragonfish with its wing panels turned outwards (esp. in sideview).
Also, where you see visual compromise, by tightening up the silhouette I see hull protection. The TIE/D has a strong hull rating in the game, what's to say some of it isn't in the wings? Fortunately, since this is an inofficial interpretation shaped by my choices, I say some is in the wings. If not by design then by modification.

For the rest, I adher to Cartman's doctrine. [Wink]

The chiss are good, even if they also enjoy telling everyone that. I like the Clawcraft for its distinctiveness and power, even if it got the latter by compromising agility, but you can't say it hasn't got the most cluttered FOV of all the TIE variants, unless one peers straight ahead at all times.
Daily made a very nice ship, goes right into the pics folder. But he hasn't done his studies, the secondary barrels on the wings aren't lasers, they're maneuvering jets, for pulling off smartassed stunts, like Jagged Fel enjoys.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking good. Nice details. Curious to see some temp textures. Gonna do a cockpit? Maybe not with 2000 polys. The hatch is just asking for a giant thumb to push in while sliding back.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nim: Skipray Blastboat.
Kick yer ass. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
You'd think they could channel it towards propulsion- the TIE is supposed to thrust on propellant, so maybe some solid fuel sourse could be heated by the excess?

An intresting variant Fulgrim (welcome aboard), but the other version allows for far greater "visual scanning" by the pilot.
Also, i'm pretty sure these are supposed to have the proton torpedo launchers on the wings (between the two solar veins).

Alfred Wong (a master modelmaker) made this cool Phantom TIE and Jason Daily made this awesome CHiss Clawcraft.

I dig the Chiss ship a lot- gives the pilot a good field of view and looks so damn cool!

The clawcraft is the sexiest spacecraft I've ever seen. Couple that with fact that its agile and it packs a punch. When I first saw it I was like Ooh and Ahh.

Edit: Here's some back ground info

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chiss_Clawcraft

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason: That's kinda apples and oranges, a four-man crewed shuttle, but maybe I'll take that bet. Flying tank vs. Apache Longjohnson.

I'd go in the skip if I wanted to raid convoys with torps and expect to take a lot of hits, but use my Defender in the space superiority role.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's nice, The Defender was always one of my favorites. The Clawcraft looks sexy too. I've been wondering what it actually looked like since reading the NJO books.

Way back in Design Studdies in High School I made a schematic in AutoCAD of the E-Wing using the piccie from the "Essential Guides" book as a reference. It turned out pretty good and I wish I still had it. I also drew a piccie of a Timberwolf from Battletech using AutoCAD. I spent three days working on it and when I finally printed it my instructor was so impressed he gave me a hundred percent for the assignment I didn't even know I was supposed to be doing. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

He just liked your innocent 'lil butt. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, that could be it as well. He was kind of strange, walking out on us so he could go have a smoke, putting JD in his coffee(or putting coffee in his JD, however you want to looks at it), and I'm almost sure he was the one who put acid in my history teachers coffee that one day...

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I recall drinking! It was fun...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps