Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Fonty helpy thingy

Author Topic: Fonty helpy thingy
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there.

This is a map of the Moscow Metro system.

It's being turned into album art for a mix that a friend has asked me to do, the theme being "Moscow, Russia". I'm using it as is for the front.

For the back, I'd like to use the same image with a slight difference. See where there are numberes where each track line starts? I want to replace the name of the first station there with the appropriate track list. In english. However, I've yet to find a comparable font on this here standard-issuse G5 uni Mac.

Please to observe the font (which seems to be the same for Russian & English) & make suggestions as to what it might be or what could be used in its place.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Daniel Butler
I'm a Singapore where is my boat
Member # 1689

- posted      Profile for Daniel Butler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Impact comes to mind. Tried it?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah....but after fiddling around some, I think that might actually work. I guess I just wasn't dicking with the settings enough. Thanks.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you had a higher resolution sample of the font, you could try using this site to identify it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work too well with the image you've got.
Shik
Member # 343

Yeah. I tried it but it says too big. Alas. But a good reference for other times!

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you have to cut out just a part of the text and run it through. But, like I said, it didn't work. The letters are too small.

Also, I'm not sure it would recognize Cyrillic characters. I tried to limit it to the ones that look like Roman letters.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be too anal retentive or something (my GD showing), but one could always cut and paste and build any characters you were missing. Which might be more true to the original face and would give you an opportunity to use reversed Rs and whatnot like what was so fun back in those Red Dawn years. I'm assuming shorter titles here. Anyway it's not all that hard if you've got source vector art.
Shik
Member # 343

Yeah, um...no.

I'm doing OK. I am. The real bitch is in translating the Russian titles of Vysotsky's thieves' songs into English. "There are no sharp sensations - all second-hand articles, rotten stuff and stuff" is weird.

--------------------

johnny otter
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd try Johnston Underground It's cheap too, as fonts go.
IP: Logged
Shik
Member # 343

Even if I could buy fonts or install them, I wouldn't. But thanks.

The art's done anyway using Impact. It can be seen here, front & back.

(FlareUpload does not seem to be working nicely. Good thing there's LJ.)

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps